Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi While on e*b*a*y I brought some RAM in haste and as a result, I forgot to specify the standard since I mistakingly thought I had. Long story short, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wrong standard of RAM - what should I do?

Hi

While on e*b*a*y I brought some RAM in haste and as a result, I forgot to specify the standard since I mistakingly thought I had. Long story short, I got a couple of tabs confused. So instead of purchasing standard PC2100 I brought PC2-5400.

My guess is I shouldn't try using it, though if I did try to use it would it work and/or could it do some damage?

I would rather not risk it, since I would like to preserve the packaging if I have to resell it.

Well if you need more info anyway I'm using an asrock k7vm2.

Thanks

P.S. It was a single module I brought
    Last edited by gogul2k; 01-05-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: clarification

oz
    forum.guy

If it were me...

I wouldn't use anything other than what the motherboard manual says is alright to use. I'd rather be cautious than to chance ruining a good computer and/or RAM.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I wouldn't use anything other than what the motherboard manual says is alright to use. I'd rather be cautious than to chance ruining a good computer and/or RAM.
    Tend to agree with ozar ... it looks from this link eBay.co.uk Guides - A Helpful Guide Of PC, Mac Notebook Memory RAM
    as though they are physically different - and something needing DDR can not use DDR2.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You'd be safe with PC2700 or even PC3200. They will just run at 2100. However, DDR2 is a different technology and as Jon said - they are physically different I believe.

When I built my old system it had DDR2, but I never held it up to a DDR stick.
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

DDR2/DDR3 are 240 pin standard, DDR is 184 pin standard, they are quite different, yo uwon't be able to get a DDR2 into a DDR dimm even if you try (well yo ucould try but you would break stuff)

I purchased type DDR2 RAM (unless it was advertised wrong) and according to the manual it accepts both type DDR1 and DDR2

Well I think it's a bad idea to try though I asked because I wanted to gauge the likelihood that I would be doing damage to my system.

So is their a high likelihood of me damaging things by inserting a PC2-5400 module into a slot designed to accept PC2100?

I understand according to harner that it wont do damage, but it just wont run at the higher which I expected.

As long as that is the case then I'm willing to try, though I would feel more comfortable if I had more people nodding towards a low likelihood that I wouldn't do damage.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

you can't insert a DDR2 stick into a slot designed for DDR1, it just won't work. If you can supposedly use either kind of memory then there is probably a free open slot that you can insert it into, what is your motherboard?

I have two RAM slots and apparently one accepts DDR1 and the other DDR2.

According to the manual they both accept 184 pin modules.

Did ASRock lie to me?

P.S. Both slots are free

Edit: Just checked, you're correct about the difference in pins ... seems I should double check my board, though I'm certain each slot has DDR1 and DDR2 printed on the board next to them.

When I get home I might take a photo to show you.

you misread, the slots are labeled as DDR1 and DDR2 meaning DDR slot 1, DDR slot 2, they only take 184 pin DDR1 memory, so you can't use the module you bought.