I can't do this on my own. I don't know enough to be able to pull this off. I only inch little by little. I'm not going very far.

I have a touchscreen in a laptop. It's a 1998 laptop. At the moment it's using Puppy Linux. I've gathered some information about the laptop, but what exists is limited.

I'll give some of you links:

- Pen Computing Magazine: Product Showcase - Telxon PTC-1194
- Some type of manual. [PDF]

Now, this next website was helping me at first, but it can only do so much good. I tried talking to the owner of the website, and he was somewhat helpful, but his setup was toward XFree86 and not really X.org.

Despite that, I don't think the X Window system is large concern. I think this is more of a hardware conflict than anything else.

Telxon PTC-1194

One page says this:

You can use setserial to bind these settings to a serial port at runtime. However, you can NOT use a kernel with PS/2 Mouse support compiled in due to the IRQ 12 conflict.
- Telxon PTC-1194 - Touchscreen Interface

Now, I'm pretty sure Puppy Linux has PS/2 support in it. However, that tutorial was made during the time Debian Woody was out.

Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (a.k.a. woody) was released on 19th of July, 2002
- Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 “woody” Release Information

I was hoping the kernel may have changed and adapted for such problems since then.

Do any of you know?

I tried using the setserial command, and it didn't do too much good. Matter of fact, I'm somewhat stuck on how to determine if I'm moving forward or if I'm going nowhere. I can't tell if I'm coming closer to making the touchscreen work or not.

I know that site has a driver, and that's perhaps one of the best steps.
I learned of setserial, but that only did me so much good.
setserial -g /dev/ttyS*
I recently learned of using "cat" on devices:

cat /dev/ttyS2
I read that if cat is working, then some kind of garbled text should display on the screen, or something should happen to the screen or display.

I didn't see anything happen.

I tried using cat on each of the ttyS in the /dev folder.
Nothing helped me progress.

Does anyone know what I should do to get this thing working?