Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone have a clue what video settings to use in the setup configuration screen with this combination? Everything is hunky-dory till I leave setup to reboot....ultimately, nothing comes up on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dell optiplex gx50 mandrake 10.1

Anyone have a clue what video settings to use in the setup configuration screen with this combination? Everything is hunky-dory till I leave setup to reboot....ultimately, nothing comes up on the screen but various colored vertical lines. Have tried many options, but nothing seems to work. Am installing off a full set (6) of official cd's. This being about the third distribution of Linux I've tried on as many machines resulting in failure, I'm about to conclude that this is not a workable alternative to Windows. Never had this much trouble with any version of MS DOS or Windows. Any info or hint where to look regarding this specific combo would be appreciated.

Linux Guru
    Mandrake 10.1 is several years old. Have you tried any newer releases? The older distros will have more difficulty with hardware than up to date releases. Mandrake has changed its name to Mandriva if you are looking for the latest version. I would recommend openSUSE (10.3), Fedora (8 I think) or Ubuntu 7.10 as they all have excellent hardware support.