Find the answer to your Linux question:
A buddy sold me a weak machine - toshiba p25; 4 years old, with a bad mobo/video chip (I think). Tonight I broke it down, just to tinker, and re-assembled ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Windows but no Ubuntu?

A buddy sold me a weak machine - toshiba p25; 4 years old, with a bad mobo/video chip (I think). Tonight I broke it down, just to tinker, and re-assembled it, and attempted to install ubuntu again. Seemed to boot to 'pre-install' desktop, but display was 'corrupt'/broken up.

I tried vista, Me, then XPsp1, and XP loaded and is running fine, excepting some hardware drivers.

Why no Ubuntu load? The Ubuntu disc is a pro burn from a book release, and it is loaded on 4 other machines.

Any ideas? Thanks - buccaneere

Its a Graphics Card problem only. Which version of Ubuntu are you trying to install? I would suggest you download latest version ( Ubuntu Gutsy, 7.10 ) of Ubuntu Alternate CD. It has text based installer and it will work pretty well on your machine. Text based installer is as user friendly as GUI is.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I have seen 'corrupt' video chips before being repaired by restoring defaults in the BIOS or by running BIOS updates. It might be worth a look to get you going.

Linux User
    Thanks for the help there...

Ubuntu version is 7.10, loaded on 2 other boxes I have.

Is there a guide to text-based installer?

Will attempt bios default settings resto- ; some settings aren't 'lighting up' to change in setup.

Native display has now disappeared too, but CRT is still okay.

This tell me any more? (besides I got nice garbage)

There is no need of Guide for Text based installer. It just uses minimal Graphics. Its same as GUI installer minus fancy dialog boxes/pop ups.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First