Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there folks. Well, when I installed SuSE Linux I installed a very basic system; it didn't install many programs and I'd really like some now such as GAIM, KEdit, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

To mount a CD or not to mount a CD, that is the question!

Hey there folks.

Well, when I installed SuSE Linux I installed a very basic system; it didn't install many programs and I'd really like some now such as GAIM, KEdit, etc. etc. however I'm unable to install them off of the CDs I've got.

When I do "mount" as either a user or in root, I get:

/dev/hda3 on / type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
    /dev/hda1 on /windows/C type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,iochars et=utf
    /dev/fd0 on /media/floppy type subfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    /dev/hdc on /media/dvd type subfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,fs=cdfss,procuid,iocharset=utf

It says "/dev/hdc on /media/dvd type subfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,fs=cdfss,procuid,iocharset=utf"; however when I go into "My Computer", and hover over the DVD drive, it says "DVD/ Unmounted DVD". What's more, I'm unable to install programs via my CD so I KNOW that the DVD drive isn't mounted. I do have the CD in the drive, and it says that the CD is mounted in Konsole, however in My Computer it says it isn't, and I'm unable to install stuff from YaST2.

Any help?

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    What happens if you try to actually mount it, eg, "mount /dev/hdc /media/dvd"?

If it mounted ok you should be able to "cd /media/dvd" and see the files on the CD using "ls".

Jason