Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I'm searching for an economic solution on remote rebooting server colocated (hard reboot ). Googling on remote reboot switch and/or remote reboot cards for mounting on server brought ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

How to select a remote reboot switch/remote reboot card

Hi folks,

I'm searching for an economic solution on remote rebooting server colocated (hard reboot ). Googling on remote reboot switch and/or remote reboot cards for mounting on server brought me many suggestion. Could any folk please shed me some light screening them.

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Let me get this straight - you want to reboot a server remotely? What system/distro is it running?

If you are running a Linux box and want to reboot it remotely you can just ssh into it and run the shutdown command.
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    You do not require extra hardware for this. Have I understood your problem correctly?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Let me get this straight - you want to reboot a server remotely? What system/distro is it running?

If you are running a Linux box and want to reboot it remotely you can just ssh into it and run the shutdown command.
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    You do not require extra hardware for this. Have I understood your problem correctly?
    Thanks for your advice which is a soft-reboot. I'm doing the same. In seldom occasion it needs a hard reboot if the former can't reboot the server, or in case after power failure. I'm doing some precaution on the server before shipped for colocation. I heard some bad info before the colo company charges 100 dollars for a hard reboot.

satimis

O hright I see now. I know that HP systems can get iLO cards and Dell have something similar. They work well but require a seperate connection to the server, so another IP address basically. They work pretty well - or at least when the iLo systems went Linux they worked well. I heard the earlier Windows CE ones were susceptible to infection

I'm not sure about generic ones, can't advise you there but if it's Dell or HP hardware you can look at their solutions. I don't think they're cheap though.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    O hright I see now. I know that HP systems can get iLO cards and Dell have something similar. They work well but require a seperate connection to the server, so another IP address basically. They work pretty well - or at least when the iLo systems went Linux they worked well. I heard the earlier Windows CE ones were susceptible to infection

I'm not sure about generic ones, can't advise you there but if it's Dell or HP hardware you can look at their solutions. I don't think they're cheap though.
    Googling brought me some info but NOT many of them. I found

"DataStor REMOTE REBOOT CARD"
    Compare Prices and Read Reviews on DataStor REMOTE REBOOT CARD (URRCIP) at Epinions.com

It is affordable.

B.R.
    satimis