Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi! First of all, let me say that I'm new in linux (yep... another one), and that english is not my natural language, so I may sound (or write...) a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nothing works! (well... just a few things...)

Hi!
    First of all, let me say that I'm new in linux (yep... another one), and that english is not my natural language, so I may sound (or write...) a little weird...

So...

I downloaded and installed succesfully Mandrake Linux 10.0 a couple days ago... ¡I love it! It's really cool, but some of my devices are not working at all (sadly, the ones I must use very often). I have a Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz, 256 Ram, Nvidia Gforce fx 5200, LG dvd/cd/rw combo, Mpeg tv station bt878.

Ok, the problem is like this:
    -Nvidia appears not to be working, since I try to launch Tux race and nothing happens...
    -Lg dvd/cd/rw combo working fine, but I can't see my dvds, every time I try to play one with Mplayer or another program, it stops with an error message (sorry, I didn't write down the problem).
    -Mpge tv station bt878 (Kworld) not working at all, and worse: it don let me use my Canon Canoscan fb 330 p, every time I try to open a scanning program, the scanning device that appears is the ¡tv card!
    ¡Help!
    ¿What do I do?
    ¿How do I start?

For now, I'll start messing around with my computer (hope I don't s***w anything else...) if anybody can help me, I'll really appreciate it.

Thank's.

Linux User
    Do you have the official nvidia driver installed? Get it here http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

Your other problems are hard to help unless you post the exact error.
    --monkey

Just Joined!

Nothing works

Thank's Monkey, I downloaded the drivers; expecting things to work with the Nvidia.

For the problems I have, I can´t be too especific, since the errors are vague...

- Lg combo dvd-cd rw... doesn't play dvds, the program closes (Mplayer or Totem) and an error appears "error: DVD can not be read". Happens whit any dvd.

- The Tv card error also happens in windows, I remember. I've heard that the product number of the card is the same that the produc number of an Intel web cam. Maybe that's why it appears in the list of devices in the scanning program. I took it out and throw it in the garbage... I mean, in it's original package box.

So, for now, my main concern is with the dvd (I like to play movies while I'm working in something else...).

Thank's.
    Dexter

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You probably need to install libdvdcss or libdvdcss2 to read your dvds. They tend to be encrypted so you need the library to read. Check for it in your software sources.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!

I'm trying

Thank's everybody.
    For now I have downloaded the libs and the nvidia drivers, but recently I've had a lot of work in the office and haven't been able to play with my PC.
    Tonight is the night!
    Tomorrow I expect to deliver good news.
    See ya.
    Dexter

Linux Engineer
    about installing nvidia drivers in this forum you can find tons of help how to do this.this is also for installing libraries for xine or whatever...
    GOOD LUCK!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!

Half way through

Hi everybody!
    Thank's again for the help; let me tell you what I've accomplished:

DVD's are playing! (Yeah!) Installed libdvdcss and some xine libs (Thank's Chris).

Tv card, well, it seems I've found a way to make it work, but I've not tried it yet, since the last time I remove it from the pc, now I have to put it back, and this last weekend was a very busy one (it was my wife's babyshower; it's a lot of work, even till sunday!)

Nvidia. I couldn't find an x86 driver for the Gforce FX 5200 in the page Monkey post. In the hardware config it seems the system recognizes the card (display its name). Does anybody knows if there is a way to test the graphics acceleration?
    Thank's again and see ya'!

Linux Engineer
    Nvidia. I couldn't find an x86 driver for the Gforce FX 5200 in the page Monkey post. In the hardware config it seems the system recognizes the card (display its name). Does anybody knows if there is a way to test the graphics acceleration?
    Thank's again and see ya'!
    about 3d acceleration you should firstly install the drivers..although to check about if you have enabled it before installation of the drivers start a game like tuxracer (requires 3d acceleration).it won't start..about the drivers the site is this
    .you should also download the driver for your system architecture (other for 32bit cpu or 64bit cpu).
    good luck!
    Linux For Ever!

If you just need to find the drivers, try a google linux search www.google.com/linux
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

Heeeeeelp!!!!!

Hi everyone!

It has been some time since I last posted here, but last week I've finally had some free

time to install the Nvidia drivers, and the result was, well, unexpected...

I've been browsing the forums looking for someone with a similar problem, but couldn't find

one... Let me tell you what happened.
    I downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg0.run driver, load the system to a console,

without loading environment.
    Previously, I'd installed the kernel source from the MANDRAKE cd's.
    Typed sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg0.run
    The installer tried to download a kernell from NVIDIA site, buy I don't have an internet

connection, so I compiled the kernel source I've allready installed.
    Everything seemed to be fine to this point.
    The driver installation finished.
    I loaded KDE.
    Went to etc/X11/XF86config-4 and changed the driver "nv" to "nvidia", in the modules section

I'd un-comment the Load "glx" line.
    Reboot aaand...
    ¡AAAARRRGGGHH!
    ¡What did I do!

The system starts apparently normal, but then, when it starts loading X, the screen goes

black for a second, back tho the blue X screen for a second, then black, then blue, then

black again and I found my self in the $ prompt.
    I login and password, then type KDE, it goes black for a couple of second, then a long error

appears, something like this:

NVIDIA (0) failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device.
    Screen(s) found, but none have a usable config.
    XIO fatal IO error 104 conection reset by peer on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed) whit 0 events remaining.

Does anybody have an idea what this means? ... cause I don't.

Did I sc&#w it?

Please, help me! And if I need to edit something from the shell, please tell me what

commands sould I use, cause I'm not good with the shell, apart from movien between

directories and viewing some files.

Thank's everybody.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast