'ello! I figure this is one of the areas in which I've been spoiled in, because I have no idea how to go about adding new devices (on the software side) in a mostly self-made system. So, here's the skinny:
I'm running Arch Linux. I have an Xbox 360 HD-DVD USB drive (which is just a Toshiba drive with little modification, such as a internal USB hub, for use with the Xbox 360; I have installed it with Win Vista and have heard of success stories by others using Linux, primarily Ubuntu). I run OpenBox as the WM, but I also have GNOME and KDE (and a few others...) installed, if they would be more useful in this project. I know that the system, on some level, recognizes the drive because running hwdetect returns a "usb-storage" (which is not detected when the drive is disconnected...). I have HAL installed, but otherwise I don't really know what I need to do to make it run. I don't necessarily even want the HD-DVD readability; but it's ability to DVDs and CDs as well are a desired outcome.
So, the question is how do I add this drive to those accessible? I don't see any new files pop up in /dev, I'm guessing it's not as easy as mounting a new drive; something has to make the system further recognize it, right? (but what, and how?)
Thanks for at least reading this much, and further thanks to those who try to help. (and a thanks anyways for those who want to help but don't know any more than I do on the matter)