Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am having lockup probs with my pc. i have in the tower: 80 gig hd 256 ram 1.2 GHz amd athlon cpu dvd rom cdr geforce 2 my pc ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems with desktop

i am having lockup probs with my pc.

i have in the tower: 80 gig hd
    256 ram
    1.2 GHz amd athlon cpu
    dvd rom
    cdr
    geforce 2

my pc just locks up. it is so frustrating...esp. since i have no clue what the problem is. i have tried to reformat, delete all partitions, did multiple virus scans before i made the jump to linux. my box is reletively new with the oldest thing being the motherboard. any help given would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    We need a bit more info here.

How does it lock up?

What are you doing when it locks up?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    anything. it has locked up before kde even finishes loading...when i connect to the internet. no particular task does it...it just happens randomly. it just freezes and nothing works. i can move the mouse around but cannot do anything.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    it seems that you have problem with your hardware.have you checked the logs?i had the same problem in suse 9 (my pc was freezing at any time..).so check for harware incompatibility first.you also should do an update (using YOU updater).last step a kernel update maybe useful,because it provides compatibility for many new devices..
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    I've had this happen. It ended up being a cooling issue. I opened the case and found the hsf caked up with dust and grime. Blew all the dirt out of all the nooks and crannies. It doesn't happen anymore.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Linux Engineer
    i haven't really thought that temperature would make system so unstable...so try to see if pc's temps are right ,try to bring them down if are high and check if it is stable though.can't wait for ur post..i'm so suspicious!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    i switched out the motherboard and processor and ram last night so i'll see how that works.

you realize that you just practiacly built a new computer, right? reguardless, i would have to agree that cooling is a likly culprit. most errors that happen at 'random' times have some relation to tempature.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    so far no problems with the motherboard and cpu. no locking up. thanks for the ideas.