Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently have a Fedora 8 box acting as a file server with two 250gig drives mirrored. I am looking for a new server case as I have a 3Ware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server Case

I currently have a Fedora 8 box acting as a file server with two 250gig drives mirrored. I am looking for a new server case as I have a 3Ware SATA Raid card capable of running up to 12 drives. My current server box only has room for 4 drives in total. I'd like to get a case with at least 8 3.5" drive bays (hot swap is supported by the 3Ware card, but I don't need it).

I've been looking at this:

Supermicro, Inc. - Products | Chassis | 4U | SC745S2-700 / SC745S2-700B

but are there any other recommendations? I've tried to look for an external cage, but that would require running the internal SATA connections outside the case.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Linux Guru
    I don't know if you have previous experience with them, but Supermicro makes very solid hardware.

Something you make want to consider: Supermicro has quite a few cases with 7 3.5" and 4 5.25" bays. With a simple 5.25" mounting bracket, you can solidly mount a 3.5" drive into a 5.25" bay. Doing that, your 7 + 4 case can handle 11 drives - maybe 10 if you have an optical drive installed.

In other words, if you're not sure how many drives you'll end up with, something like a 7 + 4 setup gives you more cases to choose from and still have the ability to mount 8 drives.

HTH.

Just Joined!
    I am only familiar with them via their web site, hence the link to a supermicro case. I know a distributor in my area, but I always like to get a few other ideas before purchasing something like this.

LinuxMCE or MythTV both need a lot of storage if you plan to keep lots of video. I tend to transcode all my DVD's to AVI's so as not to wreck the DVD.

So that's one point for Supermicro.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I have a Chieftec 410F. A 4U case with 10 5.25" bays and two 3.5" bays.
    the 3.5" bays are internal (somewhere above the CPU and the 5.25" bays are aligned in two stacks of four and two bays arerotated 90 degrees.

If you use hotswap modules (4-in-3 or 3-in-2; drives-in-5.25" bays ) you canuse 3+6+4+2 (internal) = 15 harddisks and one optical at the most. the case is 27" deep and you can put up to dual cpu boards in it (ATX/EATX/SSI-CEB).

Just Joined!
    Chieftec... Never heard of them, but the cases look pretty good. All internal drive cages with cooling fans. Not bad.

Thanks for the tip!!

I dunno how much that supermicro case costs, but I imagine that you are using this for personal use, so its not going into a rack.

If you aren't going to use hot swap, why pay for a case that provides hot swapping unless it is cheaper?

If I needed more space in my current file server I would buy this LIAN LI PC-V2000Aplus II Silver Aluminum Server Computer Case
    could use two 4in3 converters for 5.25" bay and also have 1 optical for ability to hold 20 drives total.

In general you should be able to just use a full tower case as a server unless you are really cramped for space and want to use the 4u boxes, but they probably can't hold as much as a full tower can. Full tower will usually cost less as well.

Just Joined!
    I have a coolermaster stacker (3x 4-in-3 modules, crossflow fan, no psu) for 230,00. My chieftec 410F costs 215,00 with PSU (okay, it's 'only' a 320W) + 48,00 for the sliders. A 410S costs 155,00 with the same psu, but only room for max 8 hdd + 1 optical.

I'm not cramped for space but my towers (7) took more space than the rack cases.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    If you aren't going to use hot swap, why pay for a case that provides hot swapping unless it is cheaper?

If I needed more space in my current file server I would buy this LIAN LI PC-V2000Aplus II Silver Aluminum Server Computer Case
    Hot swap would be lovely, the RAID card I have would support it, but there is no reason at the moment. Perhaps once I have LinuxMCE running my home in a few years hotswap would come in handy, but not at present. :P

I search the web for half a day and find lots of cases, but not always models I may like or want. The LI PC-V2000 looks ideal! 12 internal drive cages would suit me just fine, considering my RAID controller has 12 SATA ports. Thanks!