Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have a HT Omega Clario + sound card that has the C-Media CMI8788 chip set. I understand that the latest ALSA 1.0.16 drivers now support this chip ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about ALSA drivers

Hello all,
    I have a HT Omega Clario + sound card that has the C-Media CMI8788 chip set. I understand that the latest ALSA 1.0.16 drivers now support this chip set. So far none of the distros currently support my card as this new driver was only released back in Feb of 2008 and the drivers up until then were pretty buggy so were deactivated by default. Are the Asla drivers included with the Linux Kernel? If so would downloading the latest kernel and compiling it fix this issue or will I need to download the current driver from ALSA as well? I am currently using Saybon Linux but have not settled on any one distro yet for my everyday computing. I hope that there is a generic procedure that I could use regardless of what disto I am using until I settle on the one that will be my home.

Also should I compile this driver into the kernel or set it up as a module?

Thanks
    Robert

The 1.0.16 alsa drivers should be included in the 2.6.24.x linux kernel. You should be able to select the driver you need during kernel configuration and have it work afterwards with minimal work. You will need to install a mixer of some kind, etc. I recommend compiling it as a module.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    The 1.0.16 alsa drivers should be included in the 2.6.24.x linux kernel. You should be able to select the driver you need during kernel configuration and have it work afterwards with minimal work. You will need to install a mixer of some kind, etc. I recommend compiling it as a module.
    Thanks, I thought that they would be in the kernel but was not sure, I will get the most recent kernels and compile it. I saw the configuration information on the ASLA wiki but was not sure if I needed to download the driver. I appreciate you help

Oh one more question, how do I mark this post as being solved?
    Thanks again,
    Robert

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close