Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have just switched my server from win 2k3 to fedora however linux is installed on one hdd and i was woundering how to mount the other hdd's they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mounting extra hard drives?

hi,

i have just switched my server from win 2k3 to fedora however linux is installed on one hdd and i was woundering how to mount the other hdd's they have all been formated in ext3 to everything should be compatible. the hdd linux is installed on is a scsi hdd but the other 3 are ide i just thought i would mention this incase it matterd, however one of the hdds is stil ntfs i would like to mount this in read mode, all the data on the other 2 hdd's was backed up onto DVD, so i want to read from it and copy all the data from it to a ext3 formated hdd. i have alredy removed all the old win 2k3 security restrictions from the hdd so that isnt a problem, i think thats what i meen, if you dont understand just reply askin what the hell am i onabout lol and if i confuse you even more tell me to jump

i will be greatfull for any help given thanks

First off, you need to specify what hard drives they are (Primary/Secondary Master/Slave). Then, you need to know what partition they are on the drive. After that, just do this:

Code:
    mount /dev/hdxy /mnt/mountpoint
    Replace x with a,b,c or d (Primary Master, Primary Slave, etc.) and y with the partition number (1,2 ...). Make sure to mkdir a mountpoint in /mnt (or wherever you want to mount the drives).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

what distrobution are you using? i know mandrake has tools to set this stuff up for you and i think SuSE does too.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help it has worked greate but how can i mount my ntfs hdd in read mode?

Linux Engineer
    why don't you try to edit your /etc/fstab in order to have your drives mounted on startup?
    check this out how to do that:
    http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html
    good luck!
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Engineer
    type man mount!

Code:
    MOUNT(8)                   Linux Programmer's Manual                  MOUNT(8)

NAME
           mount - mount a file system

SYNOPSIS
           mount [-lhV]

mount -a [-fFnrsvw] [-t vfstype] [-O optlist]
           mount [-fnrsvw] [-o options [,...]] device | dir
           mount [-fnrsvw] [-t vfstype] [-o options] device dir

DESCRIPTION
           All files accessible in a Unix system are arranged in one big tree, the
           file hierarchy, rooted at /.  These files can be spread out  over  sev-
           eral  devices. The mount command serves to attach the file system found
           on some device to the big file tree. Conversely, the umount(8)  command
           will detach it again.

-r     Mount the file system read-only. A synonym is -o ro.