Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Very detailed title I know, but I don't quite know what is wrong with my PC. It's a custom build using this motherboard . This seemed to work find originally, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I broke my comuter ...

Very detailed title I know, but I don't quite know what is wrong with my PC.

It's a custom build using this motherboard.

This seemed to work find originally, but after I got a "free gift" with something on ebay that turned out to be a pirate DVD I started having problems.

First time I noticed something wrong I was using a Linux distro elive, going about my business the morning after watching the DVD on windows, when suddenly while browsing the net using elive things just crashed.

I seem to have trouble booting elive, windows or any other distro which I installed in place of these (even a live distro. Specifically, the problem I have when trying to boot a live distro is starting the x window.

Looking at the various signs I thought it must be a corrupt hard drive, but swapping the hard drive with a replacement doesn't seem to make a difference.

Tried loading the live CD of Kate OS (current stable release) and during startup while trying to load the x window session manager I got a message saying
    /etc/rc.d: line11: 3983 Segmentation fault
    ... so sounds like it could be hard drive related, though I doubt I could have the same problem with all 4 of my hard drives that work fine in other machines. I think it must be a problem with an on board device ... tried google though couldn't find an answer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Which Graphics Card do you have? It looks like Linux distros are not configuring Graphics Card correctly.
    Which LiveCDs you have tried till now?
    /etc/rc.d: line11: 3983 Segmentation fault
    Above error has nothing to do with Hard Disk. It looks like you are running 64Bit OS on 32bit machine. There could be a lot of other reasons like badly burned media..
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Which Graphics Card do you have? It looks like Linux distros are not configuring Graphics Card correctly.
    Which LiveCDs you have tried till now?

Above error has nothing to do with Hard Disk. It looks like you are running 64Bit OS on 32bit machine. There could be a lot of other reasons like badly burned media..
    I've successfully run and installed kate os using inferior hardware with no problems. Disk has been tested at every stage, seems perfect condition.

No graphics card since it's on board, unfortunately I don't have a spare graphics card to test to see what happens.

Assuming it's not an isse which can be resolved with a new graphics card (possible though not certain) I think it must be an issue with some other on board device.

Unless maybe something to do with the RAM?

I've also tried booting damn small linux, madriva, fluxbuntu, elive, dream linux, slax kill bill edition ... plus others which I can't recall from memory. Same issue every time I get to the point during startup when it tries to boot the x window manager.

OK, sounds like it could be graphics related, though I'm in denial until I find another possible cause since I don't want to buy a new graphics card.

P.S. Elive is installed which I can boot without problem, though once I log in it freezes.

P.P.S. Used graphical login screen ... not sure if it's the GDM or some other ...

Boot up Elive in Single User Mode (command line) and execute this
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.

"lspci | grep -i vga" returns:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 (rev 6a)
    "grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf" returns:
    No such file or directory
    and tried again as root in case, same message as above.

Check the contents of /etc/X11 folder. There must be a xorg.conf file. Its capital X in X11.
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11
    grep -i xorg.conf

Sorry, forgot about case sensitivity. Thought I was going mad for a moment there ...

Driver "kbd"
    Driver "mouse"
    Driver "vesa

You have a Trident Card but X Server is using vesa driver. Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and replace Driver "vesa" with "trident". Save file and reboot machine.

hmm working so far, although most programs I try to open since do keep closing unexpectedly as soon as I open them ... that didn't happen before '_'

anyway, I'm not sure this is stricly a elive issue since I was able to run everything including windows and live cd's without issue until recently.

oh well, your information was useful for future reference regardless so thank you for trying to help ^_^

Glad to help you !
    Execute top command and check which process is taking maximum CPU cycles.
    Could you post all the contents of xorg.conf file or attach it here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast