Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking to buy a VOIP phone that works with Sipgate. All the phones that I can find are for Skype. I understand that Skype uses their own protocol for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] VOIP phones

I'm looking to buy a VOIP phone that works with Sipgate. All the phones that I can find are for Skype. I understand that Skype uses their own protocol for VOIP. Does this mean they won't work with Sipgate or will they work for both?

I would also prefer a phone that doesn't require USB to work as I want it working all the time, not just when my computer is booted up. If these are expensive at the moment then it will have to be compatible with Linux.

I would also prefer a wireless phone. Anybody got any they would recommend?
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Kieren,
    What you need is a Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA). LinkSys make one called the PAP 2T which works well.
    An ATA connects to your network and has an RJ11 (US Phone) port. You set it up through a web based page (or go to Voxzilla.com and they can automagically configure) then plug a standard phone in and you can make/receive calls with your SIP account.
    In the UK the PAP 2T costs about 20-30 and the cost of the phone is up to you.
    John

Hey ennoil, thanks for the information. Someone from work actually lent me a PAP2 to try out and it works great. Had to change over port on the phone to RJ11 as you said though.
    Linux User #453176

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close