Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 3 of 3
I've had an epson all in one CX4800 for quite awhile and the initial setup is not very difficult, however as of last week I am no longer able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie sdimhoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    191

    [SOLVED] Epson Scanner CX4800


    I've had an epson all in one CX4800 for quite awhile and the initial setup is not very difficult, however as of last week I am no longer able to scan documents. When I attempt to use it I get the error:

    Failed to start scanner: Device Busy

    Output of sane-find-scanner
    Code:
     sane-find-scanner 
    
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0819 [USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)]) at libusb:001:007
    Now we see where the problem starts with scanimage:

    Code:
    scanimage -L
    No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
    check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
    sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
    which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
    I've had a problem in the past which had the same symptoms, but it was due to a kernel incompatability with usb-storage and usblp modules and my scanner setup (I think it was in kernel versions 2.6.9 to 2.6.17 or so). I've tried to disable these modules, but as expected it didn't help.

    Anyone have any ideas?
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

  2. #2
    Linux Newbie sdimhoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    191
    Well, the scanner still doesn't work, but for some reason (I didn't make any changes to any config files or anything) scanimage -L now reads a scanner present.

    scanimage -L
    device `epkowa:libusb:001:007' is a Epson Stylus CX4700/CX4800/DX4800 flatbed scanner


    However, as I mentioned:

    scanimage
    scanimage: sane_start: Device busy
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie sdimhoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    191
    I know this is a very old thread, but I just realized I never posted my solution.

    As it turned out, so long ago, the sudden stop in functionality had to do with dependency issues. This was fixed (in gentoo) by doing a reverse dependency rebuild.

    As a general rule, I ususally do a pretend rebuild, then perform the package updates manually. It gives me a chance to more fully inspect the list of problem packages:

    revdep-rebuild --pretend
    emerge [the list from above]

    All fixed. I've come to find that if problems in gentoo occur all-of-the-sudden, this is not a bad thing to check.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •