Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
POST is short for Power On Self Test, or something like that. It's the initial boot up where it "tests" the RAM and detects drives (if the BIOS is set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

POST is short for Power On Self Test, or something like that. It's the initial boot up where it "tests" the RAM and detects drives (if the BIOS is set to autodetect, which it usually is by default).

But if it's not even getting that far, then I suspect maybe you still have the mobo reset jumper set. Fresh out-of-box, motherboards tend to have a reset jumper set. Consult your motherboard manual to see if there's a reset jumper and/or anything to do with the CMOS battery that you need to do first.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    POST is short for Power On Self Test, or something like that. It's the initial boot up where it "tests" the RAM and detects drives (if the BIOS is set to autodetect, which it usually is by default).

But if it's not even getting that far, then I suspect maybe you still have the mobo reset jumper set. Fresh out-of-box, motherboards tend to have a reset jumper set. Consult your motherboard manual to see if there's a reset jumper and/or anything to do with the CMOS battery that you need to do first.
    ....uhhh yea it does say something about cmos so ill look at that around 2:45 when i get home from skool so yea ill try that. and once i reset it or w/e then it should work?

Motherboards don't do things in just one particular "standard" way. There are a small handful of variations that are the most common, but even so...the best policy is to follow the installation instructions of the motherboard manual. Since this is your first build, that's a particularly good idea.

I should have thought of this possibility sooner. I didn't want to insult your intelligence about reading the manual. But maybe I should have? When I first started doing computer builds, it was cobbling together hardware from old/used computers. So I never expected anything like a reset jumper on a brand new motherboard when I first bought a new motherboard. Even so, I didn't really know what I was doing, so I read the motherboard manual before proceeding. But I could easily imagine myself just plugging everything together and then being puzzled at why it wasn't working.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    Motherboards don't do things in just one particular "standard" way. There are a small handful of variations that are the most common, but even so...the best policy is to follow the installation instructions of the motherboard manual. Since this is your first build, that's a particularly good idea.

I should have thought of this possibility sooner. I didn't want to insult your intelligence about reading the manual. But maybe I should have? When I first started doing computer builds, it was cobbling together hardware from old/used computers. So I never expected anything like a reset jumper on a brand new motherboard when I first bought a new motherboard. Even so, I didn't really know what I was doing, so I read the motherboard manual before proceeding. But I could easily imagine myself just plugging everything together and then being puzzled at why it wasn't working.
    yea i see wut u r saying, and i did read the manual when i first got it so that i dont mess up, but i didn't think i needed to mess with jumpers but yea im new at it so im still a newb in learning so ill try that when i get home

Just Joined!

grrrrr i tryed it and did as they said and it still does the same thing as b4

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by randyallencoleman View Post
    what do u mean by POST? do u mean, does it get to the bios or logo? no it doesn't

Do you hear any beeps?

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Debian Linux Geek View Post
    Do you hear any beeps?
    uhhh no not even when i remove the ram, and i believe i read somewhere that stated that some newer motherboards may not beep

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by randyallencoleman View Post
    uhhh no not even when i remove the ram, and i believe i read somewhere that stated that some newer motherboards may not beep
    The only way there wouldn't be a beep is if you didnt connect the PC speaker or it isnt even powering up in which case I would check the Power Supply.

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Debian Linux Geek View Post
    The only way there wouldn't be a beep is if you didnt connect the PC speaker or it isnt even powering up in which case I would check the Power Supply.
    well, i connected a pc speaker and no beeps, and the power supply works so i dont think its that, and also the motherboard was fresh out of the box so i dont think its the motherboard etheir

Just Joined!
    Motherboard come DOA sometimes so it could be the motherboard especially if you know the power supply is good.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast