Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please, if anyone can help me... i'm starting to spend way too much time on this, reading lots of articles about my problem, and nothing seems to work... If you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Microphone HDA Intel... so many issues i cannot tell the woods from the tress anymore

Please, if anyone can help me... i'm starting to spend way too much time on this, reading lots of articles about my problem, and nothing seems to work...

If you just google anything related to Hda Intel card and Ubuntu, there are lots of people with serious problems with this type of card, and I am no different. I am on Ubuntu 8.04 64 (fresh install, but i had exactly the same problems on 8.04 i386), and my card is

card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

However, by looking at the usual problems, I cannot help but feeling that the solutions proposed (recompiling ALSA, mess with /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file, etc) might not be what I needed, since my problem seems to be (but only seems!) slightly less complicated...

In general, sound works fine for me; speakers fine, volume control responsive, headphones fine, and i can even hear myself when using the microphone (with a headset plugged in)...

However, i cannot, no matter how I try, configure the microphone capture, so it seems like it is going directly through the card, and not being captured at all. It doesn't work in Skype, Ekiga, or Audacity either.

I guess I am just at a loss on how to configure the capture settings, since all the rest of the sound configuration seems to be fine...

please, if anyone knows anything about it, or has had any luck with this specific card, let's talk... here are some of my configurations,including a screenshot of my mixer settings, for maybe I am doing something wrong with this capture settings in the first place

user@user-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/pcm
    00-04: ALC883 Analog : ALC883 Analog : capture 1
    00-00: ALC883 Analog : ALC883 Analog : playback 1 : capture 1

user@user-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
    Compiled on Apr 21 2008 for kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (SMP).

user@user-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
    0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
    HDA ATI SB at 0xb0000000 irq 16

user@user-laptop:~$ lspci | grep -i audio
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

Any help, will be greatly, greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have this same chipset on my computer at home.
    I have had some problems with the microphone on it, notably what you are saying, the sound comes out the speaker when you enable it, but doesn't seem to record in applications.

I found the capture settings to be very finicky for it, and had to play around much to get it right.

that screenshot was kind of small hard to read, but I use the terminal based alsa mixer to configure it, you have to make sure the digital input or whatever is set to +0DB, your best bet is to play around (i know you have, but) i ended up with both capture settings at like 17.5db or something with mic boost at 33% I believe.

the best way to test is to record using arecord and see, then adjust settings again.

Code:
    arecord -vv -fdat foo.wav
    when you are done testing, you need to ctrl+c to close it, then open the file in whatever sound program you want to play it with

Just Joined!
    Ok, so there is some progress!!
    Capture works with the configuration you've suggested, and the wav file is recorded and i can play it back and hear myself, so things seem to be fine!

So i figure the problem must be with skype; i test the confguration and it is ok, but when i try to actually use it, either the microphone does not work at all, or it stops within the first minute... and after i close skype, the sound capture no longer works! I've run 'dmesg' after running skype (when the mic no longer works), and towards the end of the output I see:

[ 200.830450] process `skype' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT
    [ 416.417917] compat_ioctl32: v4l2 ioctl VIDIOC_S_PARM, dir=rw (0xc0cc5616)
    [ 416.418161] ioctl32(skype:6201): Unknown cmd fd(45) cmd(c0cc5616){t:'V';sz:204} arg(f6307da0) on /dev/video0
    [ 416.676236] uvcvideo: device USB2.0 Camera requested null bandwidth, defaulting to lowest.
    [ 460.092188] compat_ioctl32: v4l2 ioctl VIDIOC_S_PARM, dir=rw (0xc0cc5616)
    [ 460.092662] ioctl32(skype:6201): Unknown cmd fd(45) cmd(c0cc5616){t:'V';sz:204} arg(f6307d00) on /dev/video0
    [ 460.933751] compat_ioctl32: v4l2 ioctl VIDIOC_S_PARM, dir=rw (0xc0cc5616)
    [ 460.934151] ioctl32(skype:6201): Unknown cmd fd(45) cmd(c0cc5616){t:'V';sz:204} arg(f6307d80) on /dev/video0
    [ 461.177987] compat_ioctl32: v4l2 ioctl VIDIOC_S_PARM, dir=rw (0xc0cc5616)
    [ 461.178450] ioctl32(skype:6201): Unknown cmd fd(45) cmd(c0cc5616){t:'V';sz:204} arg(f6307e00) on /dev/video0
    [ 461.231027] uvcvideo: device USB2.0 Camera requested null bandwidth, defaulting to lowest.

Do you have any idea of what it means? Or why is Skype messing with the sound configuration? If i reboot after that, things go back to normal and I am able to record again, but the same Skype problem happens.

Thank you very much for the help, and I am glad to have at least some progress with the problem!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close