Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there guys, Yesterday, I ripped the same cd's fine. The remote drive I was moving the files to didn't unmount correctly and I lost the ripped files, so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lost the ability to rip cd's

Hi there guys,

Yesterday, I ripped the same cd's fine. The remote drive I was moving the files to didn't unmount correctly and I lost the ripped files, so I needed to rip them again.

Today, I fired up Grip and ran through the cd's. It brings up each track, states that it's ripping & encoding but it only takes a couple of seconds and I end up with files about 25kb large when it's done.

I tried cdparanoia and it runs through the ripping process with the little arrow and the smiley face. When it's done, I'm left with a 40 byte file.

There you have it. Yesterday, I could rip & encode and today I can't Anyone have any ideas I can try to get it back?

thanks,
    json
    Aloof linux user #whatever.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

Just Joined!
    Try opening it up in a terminal and see if there are any errors.

Hey there dlg,

Can I ask what you mean by "open it up"? I can't cd to it, but I've never been able to do that to any cd.

thanks,
    json

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok open a terminal and type grip and try to rip whatever cd you are trying to and if you have the same issue look in the terminal to see if any errors pop up.

Hi there again,

I popped one in and it successfully ripped the cd. It ejected, I put the next one in, selected a track and attempted to rip it and got the following error in the terminal:

Error trying to open /dev/sr0 exclusively (Device or resource busy). retrying in 1 second.
    It repeats a few times, then moves on.

Grip can see the contents, it just can't rip it.

thanks,
    json

Just Joined!
    What probably is happening is that it can read it enough to know what it is to get the track information,but can rip it I would try to clean the disk and try again.

Hi there,

It's clean and they ripped just fine last night. As well, the first one I had problems with just magically decided to rip, so I know that it's one of these really fun "sometimes" problems that I often run across.

thanks,
    json