Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, this laptop, a DSL disc, and a PCMCIA card walk into a bar... Umm... Sorry. Anyways, I got an old Dell Latitude CPx in trade for my old Nintendo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Teach me(please?) Laptops, LiveCDs, and PCMCIA cards

So, this laptop, a DSL disc, and a PCMCIA card walk into a bar...
    Umm...
    Sorry.
    Anyways, I got an old Dell Latitude CPx in trade for my old Nintendo 64. I think it was a good trade, aside from the battery being dead, the DVD drive only reading CDs, and the fact that I can't get network to work. The first two I'm sure are hardware problems, but of the Ethernet I'm not so sure.
    Oh, yeah. It has Win2000 on it, too. For now....
    I have four PCMCIA Ethernet cards and two of those cat5 adapter thingies that plug into them; I know that at some point in time at least two of the said LAN cards worked, as did the adapter thingies. It is completely possible that all of these don't work anymore, but let's assume they do (or at least the old ones do --the two I'm not sure about came with the laptop).
    The three OSes I have that i can use are the built-in Win2000, DSL and Puppy linux (the final being my favorite thus far). Each of them seem to acknowledge the LAN cards, but I don't seem to get any response. the Windows thing seems to give me the most information; I can configure TCP/IP and make "new connections," even get it to say that some sort of connection exists, but it will always say that the cord is unplugged. I can ping 127.0.0.1, but that's it.
    ...any ideas?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    The three OSes I have that i can use are the built-in Win2000, DSL and Puppy linux (the final being my favorite thus far).
    Puppy linux it is then. Boot up, run dmesg, pick the likeliest looking network card and plug it in, give it about thirty seconds to sort everything out and run dmesg again.

Post the new lines in dmesg here. Try and configure the card as you normally would then post the output of

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    route -n
    ping www.google.com
    A make and model number for the card would be very handy, a link to a page of specs and whatnot would be better though.

Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    I can ping 127.0.0.1, but that's it.
    127.0.0.1 is handled by the loopback interface and entirely handled in software, nothing to do with your actual network cards.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Linux Newbie
    I'm terribly sorry about this thread; I sold the laptop shortly after embarking on the quest (needed the cash more than the computer). I did discover that I could get one of the PCMCIA cards to be recognized, but only for trying to discover internet --it didn't seem to want to just connect with a network.

Once again, sorry. You were very helpful; I hate to have wasted your time.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close