Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not strictly Linux related, but I'm sure you guys can help. My memory card reader is quite ugly, remarkably fragile, doesn't fit comfortably with the power plugged in, and got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

USB Mouse and Storage

Not strictly Linux related, but I'm sure you guys can help.

My memory card reader is quite ugly, remarkably fragile, doesn't fit comfortably with the power plugged in, and got very lost for a while.

I got to thinking how, because my mouse is USB powered, it could contain a small hub and memory card reader, and how this would solve all of my complaints about the actual card reader.

Have any of you seen something like this: A USB optical mouse with built in MMC/SD reader. Preferably something that doesn't have a big slot in the side to fill with dust and gunk and is comfortable and reliable to use.

I searched for this and did find instructions on how to solder a memory card into a mouse, but it's been a long time since I've held a soldering iron so I'd like to see off-the-shelf items first.

Thanks,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Linux Enthusiast
    bump.

My Google-fu has since turned up two mice like this:

Amazon.com: COMPAQ 700ID Compaq Optical Mouse / SD & MMC Reader Writer: Electronics

Mouse with built-in SD card reader Coolest Gadgets

Something like the first one looks perfect, but neither of them are available, in fact it's been suggested the second one never actually existed.

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.