Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dual boot XPSP3 and PCLinuxOS 2008.1 Audigy Platinum eX sound card ########### When booting in linux sound card gives of random popping noises when nothing is being played .... very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Audigy Sound Card Compatiblity

Dual boot XPSP3 and PCLinuxOS 2008.1
    Audigy Platinum eX sound card

###########

When booting in linux sound card gives of random popping noises when nothing is being played .... very annoying as it forces me to turn off the speakers, which is not good.

When the PC is unattended the popping noise [and some clicking] occurs by itself with a frequency of something like once every 5 secs or so ... it is random but constant.

If I am using the pc then interacting with the pc can cause like a scratching noise .. esp if dragging a window around.

I have swapped and disconnected all peripherals to see if they are interfering .. with no success ... the popping continues.

HOWEVER, this does NOT occur when i boot into XP !!!

I matters not what i do with ALSA, and when i go to Harddrake > Soundcard > SB Audigy and click on "Run Config Tool" all i get is << Error: the "snd_emu10k1" driver for your sound card is unlisted >>

So i figure it MUST be the Linux driver. I have searched Synaptic, the forums, google and the Creative site, which declares no support for linux in my instance!!

My first desire would be able to fix this so that the Audigy card works under both WINXP and PCLinuxOS. However, if i can't then i am forced to look at replacing the sound card, and so would be keen to have a recommendation or two *smile*

btw ... my third week at migrating from WINdoze *grin*, but am hooked on making it work ....

All help appreciated.

Cheers

HI! You can post:
    Code:
    lspci
    and
    Code:
    hwinfo --sound
    and then we can see what we can do!
    Cheers!
    Registered Linux user #471256
    http://counter.li.org