Find the answer to your Linux question:
How well do HP laptops with AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 processors work with linux? Is 64 bit a big pain with most linux distros? Also will the built in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HP Notebook

How well do HP laptops with AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 processors work with linux? Is 64 bit a big pain with most linux distros? Also will the built in wireless 802.11b/g work with linux distributions too? I don't know the brand of built in wireless that HP carries
    Thanks,
    Jay

?

New processors don't really have problems with the major distributions, regarding the 64 bit I would recommend using a 32 bit instead. With out the name of the maker I can't help you on the wireless but Broadcom (major in laptops) is supported via restricted driver in Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by axisaudio View Post
    How well do HP laptops with AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 processors work with linux?
    I've never used an HP laptop, but I know that AMD 64-bit processors run just fine in Linux.

Is 64 bit a big pain with most linux distros?
    Not really, but there are some "gotchas." There is no 64-bit version of Adobe Flash, and you're not going to really notice any speed difference unless you run mathematical or sound-encoding apps a lot. Some distributions lag behind on bug fixes for their 64-bit ports.

Also will the built in wireless 802.11b/g work with linux distributions too? I don't know the brand of built in wireless that HP carries
    Thanks,
    Jay
    If you can give us the model number we could probably figure that out. There are probably sites online that list the individual specs for your machine. We really must have the name of the wireless chipset in order to tell you whether or not it will work (or how to get it working if it doesn't).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close