Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a HP S3200N with nVidia High Def Audio MCP61. Debian Testing with kernel version 2.6.18-5-486 (the latest kernel doesn't work with it) installed. Here's the output of lspci ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

nVidia High Def Audio = No sound

I have a HP S3200N with nVidia High Def Audio MCP61. Debian Testing with kernel version 2.6.18-5-486 (the latest kernel doesn't work with it) installed.
    Here's the output of lspci -v:
    Code:
    00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a66
    	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
    	Memory at fe028000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    	Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
    	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
    	Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
    	Kernel modules: ipmi_si
    I've done a search on this and a lot of people suggest adding
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig
    to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base with no real results. I've also tried a few other models: 6stack-dig and auto ... they didn't work either.

I'm editing alsa-base then running alsaconf, and it still can't find the driver. I've tried doing modprobe snd_hda_intel model=3stack-dig which loads the driver, but I stil have no sound.

The problem is basically that "alsaconf" can't find an audio card to configure. So I'm stuck with no sound. Any suggestions?
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Linux Enthusiast
    Hmm... funniest thing, I'm going to post it here because I would never have imagined this would work.

I mentioned on my post above that the 2.6.24-1-686 kernel was working, which is wasn't. I installed 2.6.24-1-amd64 and now everything is working wonderfully. Now I'm wondering, why? I really can't see the reason, but it's working now.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion