Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, To anybody who may be able to help !! : I'm running BSD (OSX) and bought a "10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Trendnet TU2-TEG". Initially when I plugged it in, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB-Gigabit

Hi all,

To anybody who may be able to help !! :

I'm running BSD (OSX) and bought a "10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Trendnet TU2-TEG".

Initially when I plugged it in, my macbook recognised the device and it worked fine.
    Then it stopped and began to say the network cable was unplugged.

I eventually reinstalled leopard and it it worked again, for a while and then stopped.

When I check my system profiler (shows all devices currently connected to the system), the USB GIGABIT device shows (when I plug it in). So I know the computer can see it.

I messed about with kext last night. This is the mac version of loading/unloading kernel modules.
    I eventually found the USB-GIGABIT module and unloaded it, then messed about a bit and eventually the device began to work !.

I restarted and it's stopped again.

Can somebody point me in the right direction (I'll not ask for complete guidance) with this ?

I'm still new to kernel modules and drivers etc with linux and so I'd like to learn about how to control my devices and which modules (drivers ??) they use.
    EG, I know that this device is supposed to run 450mw but It's currently set at 500mw on the system and I'd like to learn how to change that.

I just need pointer, web pages, tutorials ideas etc etc etc.

THANKS !
    Jamie

Can anybody give me some pointers ?

You're running this on OS X? I'm not sure you're in the right place for help. Although both Unix-like Linux and OS X are completely different beasts and require different knowledge to fully work at them.

Just Joined!

Osx

Hi BigTom,

As far as I know; OSX is fully Unix compliant.
    It's basically BSD and everything I can do on my slackware box I can do on my mac. Once in the terminal, it's the same. Except Mac have their own utilities for some things. Eg, the Kext (Kernel extensions) utility for working with kernel modules.

The reason I'm posting on this forum (as opposed to macforums) is that I'd expect to find more technical people on the Linux forums.

Please try and help, imagine that I'm running linux. Any advice you give me will work on osx, and it will only be some mild translation on my part if anything !!
    Please help !!

thanks
    Jamie

I understand why you would think that but there are large distinctions between OS X and Linux. Everything from runlevels, to kernel architecture to configuration locations.

In this case you have already unloaded the module and reloaded it. The next step would likely be to understand dependencies of that module and potential conflicts to explain why it is not working reliably. For that we would need direct experience with OS X as different drivers are used and even naming conventions are different.

If you were writing a bash script or running a webserver we would likely be able to help to a greater extent but in this case a half-knowledgeble OS X user would know a lot more than a Linux guru with this specific problem.

Just Joined!

Osx

Hi BigTom,

I guess it's my ignorance.
    It's like guitars. People look at my guitar and say "Hey, your guitar looks exactly like that 40 guitar, so why did you spend 600 on it !!".

Well, I will head off to the Mac forums.

Thanks !
    Jamie

Sorry about that...yeah I totally get the guitar thing too...I'm often asked why I spent the money on my Les Paul or SG. Of course then I have to show them!