Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, i am in the process of looking at getting an AMD 64 bit CPU/motherboard. I was just wondering if this would be compatible with SuSE 9.1 and win ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

AMD 64-bit motherboard/CPU

Hi everyone, i am in the process of looking at getting an AMD 64 bit CPU/motherboard. I was just wondering if this would be compatible with SuSE 9.1 and win 2K. The motherboard i'm looking at getting is here i assume that saying that it allows simultaneous 32-bit and 64-bit computing that i can hgave either a 32bit O/S or a 64-bit O/S installed? Also, would i be able to use my Nvidia geforce 2 MX400 AGP card on this board?

I thought i'd ask u guys as i don't wanna spend a coupla hundred pounds to find i have to get a 64bit version of linux AND windows!!

Thanks for ne help.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

You can use that video card on that board, and you can run 32-bit apps/OSes on an AMD64 chip. The best thing about it is that it doesn't emulate 32-bit functionality, it is actually able to give both 32-bit and 64-bit (I can't go in depth on this, as I haven't been keeping up with hardware specs. lately ).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

ok, so i won't have to go out and buy special software for this, and games will run sweetly with it i assume? I will be looking at getting a 512 stick of ram to go into it, and i assume i could stick my current 256 stick in aswell.

Although thinking about it, i would need to get the same speed ram wouldn't i? I think i got 2100 DDR ram atm, so if i did wanna add em together, i guess i would need a 2100 DDR 512 stick?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close