Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I think that although what you say is correct, this controller (bios setup) writes *something* to disk that either helps or confuses the various Linux installers. The installers DEFINITELY saw ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I think that although what you say is correct, this controller (bios setup) writes *something* to disk that either helps or confuses the various Linux installers. The installers DEFINITELY saw the drives differently based on how I configured the bios.

Then these installers load dmraid module.

Just Joined!
    When you mentioned ahci, I thought I remembered something.
    The redhat flavors, all display "Loading ahci driver..." for about 10 minutes (I thought it froze and was working on a nearby machine when all of a sudden it continued. I see the hard drive light on steady at that point) before coming back and allowing me to give it locale info. It THEN says "No driver found for disk" and prompts for a driver disk.

If I was you I'd read the motherboard manual to learn how to disable this RAID stuff.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Informative, but as they say:
    This procedure has been tested with Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn). Your mileage may vary with other versions.

I'm wondering..Would a flash (16 gig) drive solve this problem? I would have the operating system installed on it, boot from it, and hopefully use my sata drive(s) at various mount points.

Would a firewire drive solve this? Would you (or anyone) know if these systems can boot off a firewire drive?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    If I was you I'd read the motherboard manual to learn how to disable this RAID stuff.
    I wish HP gave me access to this info. They sell the machine as a Windoz ONLY machine configured ONLY as they set it up. I wish I knew this before I purchased it.

I have no further ideas, I do not think HP managed to create something out-of standard thou, there has to be somebody who has similar hardware and hacked into it. Good luck with Google.

Edit: there is something called trusted computing. I sincerely hope you are not another victim of this nonsense.

Just Joined!
    Aye, thanks Segfault. I did pick up quite a few good pointers from you.
    Good night.
    -nat

Just Joined!
    Update: The motherboard is an ASUS M2N78-LA. fwiw
    nat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast