Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I recently installed linux, and followed this http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107986 thread to get the driver for my ati 9800 based chip. It working ok, but when i play games, watch movies, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

High cpu usage

Hi.
    I recently installed linux, and followed this

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107986

thread to get the driver for my ati 9800 based chip. It working ok, but when i play games, watch movies, watch tv on my computer my cpu sometimes max out.

Specs:
    AMD 2800
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Slackware 10

I use cedega (winex) to play counter strike. It's working ok, but it use all my cpu. When i watch a movie in xine, my cpu utilization is between 60-70%. Is this a known problem, or have i done something wrong?

Linux Engineer
    amd athlon processors are not so good with multimedia as pentium4 ones...although have you checked the processes running on the system or the size of your swap partition?
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Engineer
    and post what you get with ps -aux command running in a terminal..
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the respons, stathisx, but it's working better now. I made some changes to my kernel, and re-installed/compiled the Ati driver. My kernel changes was not related to my graphichs, so it's probably the re-compile/install of the drivers that made the difference. Xine now use ~20% +/- cpu, and thats way better than before...

Thank you for the respons!