Find the answer to your Linux question:
At work I just got a new pc (DELL Optiplex 755) that has an ATI Radeon X1550 graphics card (I think). It has two DVI ports on it and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

best distro for ati and dual head support

At work I just got a new pc (DELL Optiplex 755) that has an ATI Radeon X1550 graphics card (I think). It has two DVI ports on it and the plan was to load some sort of linux distro on it for my workstation.
    I currently run SLED on an older pc and then I use VMWKS for my windows VM.
    We are a Novell shop so my plan was to use some sort of SUSE distro but my first attempt at using openSUSE 11 is so far not working out.
    I don't have any experience with dual-head displays and from what I've read it looks like ATI's are not the best adapters for this.

So my question is will I find better luck with any other distro or is it just going to take some work to get it working by scouring the net for info and hoping I find something that works for me?

Just Joined!
    For the archives I was able to get openSUSE 11 working for me.
    My solution was to use the 'xrandr' cmd line tool to setup my 2nd display.
    I had to add a Virtual entry the xorg.conf file but after that I was able to get it to work.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mdjbhouse View Post
    I don't have any experience with dual-head displays and from what I've read it looks like ATI's are not the best adapters for this.
    You can be sure about that. Depending on the card and the chosen driver you might not even get it working at all.

So my question is will I find better luck with any other distro or is it just going to take some work to get it working by scouring the net for info and hoping I find something that works for me?
    If you want it to work out-of-the-box, then you are going to have to try lots of distros and pick the one that works (if any at all). The problem is that propietary drivers are usually not shipped by default, because no one is allowed to redistribute them.

For the rest, if you are willing to dive into xorg.conf and configure it yourself, it shouldn't be so difficult (to configure it, that's it, to make it work is a completely different matter). All the distros are the same in that regards, it's an xorg/fglrx thing, there's nothing distro specific there.

If you just require 2d support you might want to check any of the alternatives, like ati or radeonhd, I am not much intro ati drivers, I can only speak bad experiences with ati cards on linux, because it's the only thing I got. Specially with dual head setups.

EDIT: Forget it, I just notice that the other response was from yourself. Sorry, I didn't notice you already solved it. Glad about that though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close