Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, just wanted to know if someone could pls assist me. i've tried as much threads as i could, but nothing seems to work for me. unless i'm doing something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

broabcom bcm4328 can't monitor

hi, just wanted to know if someone could pls assist me. i've tried as much threads as i could, but nothing seems to work for me. unless i'm doing something wrong. im not much of a linux noob, but im going through as much material as i can. im learning as i go......

i have a dell inspiron 1525 laptop. running ubuntu 8.04. with a broadcom bcm4328 network card. and i just can't get the card to go into monitor mode.

is this card capable of doing this or should i just purchase something else.

thanks alot, any assistance will be great.

Just Joined!

same case

Hi quiver, even i m facing the same problem. I cant get my wireless card bcm4328 into monitor mod e on dell inspiron 1525.
    If anyone can please tell us how to get it into monitor mode, it would be great

Thanks

Well, this is a very old thread. Usually you would want to start a new thread. Anyway, it appears to be supported with the b43 driver. Comparison of open source wireless drivers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Presumably you tried iwconfig wlan0 mode Monitor and it isn't working? (Assuming wlan0 is the name of your wireless card.)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks reed.
    ya i tried 'iwconfig eth1 mode monitor' . eth1 is my wireless interface. but no use.
    That table is really good and it says broadcom43xx series supports monitor mode.
    I am searching in as many threads as possible but havent got ans yet.

I have windows vista and ubuntu on my pc. Pc is dell inspiron 1525.
    and wireless driver is broadcom 4328.
    Initially i wanted to observe probe request frames so i tried in windows bt then came to know it doesnt support monitor mode. So i installed ubuntu.

In ubuntu, when i click on the hardware drivers icon in the system menu, it says broadcom wireless STA driver and it is proprietery
    and the above command fails.
    I dont have much knowledge about operating systems bt i fear if i change my wireless driver (broadcom), my system wil crash.
    Really dont know what to do?
    If anyone has some solution pls let me know. I wil appreciate it.
    bye

The Broadcom STA driver is a relatively new proprietary driver released by Broadcom. I don't believe it yet supports monitor mode. The b43 drivers are open source driver. (The bcm43xx are an older version of the b43 drivers.) They work fine, but you need to install the card's (proprietary) firmware to work. This can be done using the b43-fwcutter tool. I believe with Ubuntu, if you download the b43-fwcutter package, it will automatically download the firmware and extract it as well.

b43 - Linux Wireless

Just Joined!
    Thank you.
    Does that mean if i download b43 -fwcutter tool on my ubuntu, it will enable monitor mode on my pc without removing anything ?

What are the chances of crashing of system?

When i enter 'iwconfig' command, it does not even show the complete output, here is the output-
    $iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11 Nickname:""
    Access Point: Not-Associated

pan0 no wireless extensions.

Please correct me if i m wrong, the mode of eth1 should be managed and there should be much more info with it right?

Just Joined!
    hi i checked in the link posted by you, my driver is not supported there.

Is threre any other way i can enable monitor mode on it?

Does that mean if i download b43 -fwcutter tool on my ubuntu, it will enable monitor mode on my pc without removing anything ?
    No, I meant it would download the necessary firmware to get the card working. But it does look like the 4328 isn't supported by the b43 driver. The other option is to use ndiswrapper with the windows xp drivers, but I have no idea if monitor mode would work. So I think you're stuck with the driver you have.

From your iwconfig output, it looks like you are not connected to a wireless network.

Just Joined!
    I think i wil have to use some other pc with the card supported for monitor mode.

I am connected to wireless network then also the iwconfig output appears like the one i posted.

Windows dont support monitor mode so i cant use it.

Thanks for the replies. I registered today and i got reply so early, great.
    If u come to know about this issue , pls let me know.

bye