Find the answer to your Linux question:
I took a really big chance and bought a bunch of stuff from Newegg, without finding out if this MoBo is supported: Biostar TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is this MoBo supported ?

I took a really big chance and bought a bunch of stuff from Newegg, without finding out if this MoBo is supported:

Biostar TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    ATI Radeon™ HD3200 Graphics w/ Hybrid Crossfire

Anybody have this and use it successfully ? If not, I'll be looking to RMA it, and get something which I know will work, and will certainly need suggestions on another one which will suit this CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core

Doug

Just Joined!
    Well, now all I'm waiting for is the CPU, which was shipped from California, rather than the rest of where Newegg's stuff is shipped from (NJ), so I guess I'll find out tomorrow !

oz
    forum.guy
    I've not tried that motherboard but suspect that it will work fine with Linux. I rarely hear of a motherboard and Linux not getting along at all. Do let us know how it goes.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I've not tried that motherboard but suspect that it will work fine with Linux. I rarely hear of a motherboard and Linux not getting along at all. Do let us know how it goes.
    Sure thing Oz. The processor is in transit from Ontario Canada to Philly today, so I doubt it will get here until tomorrow. Too bad I have to work tomorrow. I also figured the same as you, but it's still a risk because of some of the newer architecture as well as the chance that I'll have to purchase a NIC if the onboard one doesn't want to play nice. I'm optimistic with you though...

Doug

Edit: Just in case the on board NIC doesn't work, which one should I get ?

Just Joined!
    So finally, all my stuff came in, and decided to put it together late last night as time allowed.

Biostar TA780 G M2+ MoBo
    Athlon 64 X2 2400 MHz
    G Skill F2-8500 1066 2x2 gigs RAM

And it boos up fine. I went into the Bios to look over its current settings and was about to ask what clock setting I should set the memory to since the only options I see state: Dram timing mode DCT 0 memclock value 200 MHz (200, 266, 333, 400)

So it's currently set at 200 MHz, is that fine or should it be at a higher value ? The specs for the voltage also recommend 2.0v, but it's currently set at 1.95v.

ECC is set to off. Should I set it to on, and if so, which value should I use ? I think the options range from something like "good" to better, and super etc...

Lastly, upon exiting the bios after saving, it went into Memtest mode, and despite re-booting (hard and soft) it continues to do this, I can't stop it. I pretty much just want to see if Ubuntu is going to work on this thing and have the disc in the drive, but can't get it to start up. What to do ?

Doug