Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all! As from the thread title I'm planning on buying new PC. Here's hardware list: CPU :AMD PHENOM 8450 - dual core and triple core have almost the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yet another building new PC thread.

Hello all!
    As from the thread title I'm planning on buying new PC.
    Here's hardware list:

• CPU :AMD PHENOM 8450 - dual core and triple core have almost the same price. So I chose 3xcore
    • MB :GA-M52S-S3P NFORCE 430 - pretty cheap without all fancy stuff that I dont use.
    • RAM :Corsair 4Gb KIT (2G X2) XMS2 6400 - 2 bulks so I can extend RAM later
    • VIDEO :Geforce 9800GTX 512 MB DUAL DVI HDMI - good performance while not too expensive

I'm going to use hard drives from current PC - 2 Seagate SATA dirves (300GB + 120GB).
    As for price/performance I prefer AMD over intel and nVidia over ati.
    I've being searching the forums for a while and didnt find that people reporting any problems regarding this hardware. So what do you think? Any suggestions? Will it be ok for next 3-4 years?

Looks pretty slick alright. That looks like a good well balanced system. I've had no problems running nforce chipsets myself and of course nVidia cards are well supported. Make sure you use an up to date distro/driver to work with the 9800 though.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the input!
    I'm trying my best to find the most compatible hardware for Linux. ^)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Nice choice. I think you should get a Radeon HD4850 or HD4870 instead of the 9800GTX though. Because AMD is currently pwning nVidia at its own game (pun intended)

And I think you should think of trying out the AMD 780G chipset if you can squeeze it into the budget.
    A man learns from his experience. A smart man learns from the experience of others, while a smarter man experiences life after knowing other's experiences.

BE THE SMARTER MAN.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by void_false View Post
    As for price/performance I prefer AMD over intel and nVidia over ati.
    Yeah, I think you should be fine with all your hardware choices. I've personally always chosen nVidia over ATI for video and have never regretted it. Hope it works out the same for you.

The only problem I've had with my own new hardware was the drivers for the onboard network controllers (realtek) on the new Gigabyte motherboard, but the new and just released 2.6.26 kernel fixed that. Gigabyte's website also had drivers that could be downloaded and compiled.

Have fun with your new box!
    oz

Just Joined!
    MetalheadGautham
    HD4850 and GF9800 cost almost the same. But AFAIK nVidia pwns ati on linux.

As for AMD 780G, why is it better than nforce? Furthermore my dealer has only MicroATX mobos with this chipset and it comes with onboard VGA that I won't use anyway.

ozar

THX for reply. As for problems with NICs, I have few spare 10/100 cards. So even if onboard network won't work, I can use my dedicated cards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by void_false View Post

ozar

THX for reply. As for problems with NICs, I have few spare 10/100 cards. So even if onboard network won't work, I can use my dedicated cards.
    lol... I've certainly learned my lesson on that one, too.

I now keep in my spare parts closet, one Linksys, one Intel, one D-link, and one Realtek network interface card just in case any Linux distribution or version that I try should fail to recongnize and work with the onboard network controllers.
    oz