Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
That's cool that you got that far, unfortunate that you needed to wipe it. Post back and let us know if it works out....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

That's cool that you got that far, unfortunate that you needed to wipe it. Post back and let us know if it works out.

Will do. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Sunday. Argh.

In the meantime, could someone shed any light on why this happened? Normally it takes me a lot more effort to break stuff.

What I did was on my Ubuntu desktop, I right-clicked the iPod and selected Properties. Under the Drive and Volume tabs, I changed the Mount Point to reflect the name I wanted to use. Looking back, I can see how this wasn't smart, especially since it was mounted at the time, but why did this destroy the disk label? And how come Parted wasn't able to fix this, when Parted normally has the ability to create disk labels?

It troubles me that I needed to use a Mac to fix it (if it indeed is fixed). I hope it's because of the iPod's wacky disk architecture.

Sigh.

I still can't mount it, but there's a couple differences.

Error reads: mount_point cannot contain the following characters: newline, G_DIR_SEPARATOR (usually /)

The fdisk readout is also different:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sdb: 159.8 GB, 159840301056 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2429 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 4096 = 65802240 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00039fd4

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.
    Gparted still can't do anything due to unrecognised disk label. It also said "*** stack smashing detected ***." Researching stuff on disk labels is really difficult because 99% of the google results are about label stickers for CDs. :/

Again I tried adding /dev/sdb /media/ARTESIA vfat users,exec,noauto,managed 0 0 to fstab and rebooting, but no change.

Regarding the mount_point error, is there anything I can edit to change that? I thought fstab was supposed to take care of these things. I came across references to mtab, which I have yet to look into. Another thing I can do is try to use the Mac again to perhaps do a full reformat, or something. I'll have to wait 'til next weekend for that. I'm not too well versed with Macs but it seems like a good time to learn.

Onwards...

Eeeep. That doesn't sound good. First thing is your fstab line
    Code:
    /dev/sdb /media/ARTESIA vfat users,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
    Should more likely be
    Code:
    /dev/sdb1 /media/ARTESIA vfat users,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
    /dev/sdb is the device and you would need to have a number after it to indicate the partition type. Remember though, if you can't mount it manually on the command line there's not much point in putting it into fstab.

With regards to mtab, I used to use it all the time for mounting devices during sessions. Thing is I haven't seen or touched it since hotplug and udev started doing their magic!

Oh. And so there's no number after it because it doesn't detect a partition type.

Suppose I can reformat it with the Mac. I assume I should use the mac disk label and a fat32 file system?

Also, is this the correct command to try to mount it manually?

Code:
    sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /media/ARTESIA

Well I meant more along the lines of you should try adding the '1' after it, you will never have a partition without a number. You are referring to a block device directly so you can't mount it as a partition.

Oh believe me I tried it. Same result though.

It seems that GPT is a method used on disks by computers using EFI instead of BIOS. So that explains some of the trouble, though some of the hints above suggest that Gparted might have worked (which you have discounted).

I don't suppose you have another Windows XP computer with iTunes on it handy, even an older version?

I sure don't. I'm gonna go play with the Macbook again on Saturday.

I found this while trying to find out what "stack smashing" is. Probably explains why parted isn't helping me. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ed/+bug/229388

I'm there now... I was able to use her iTunes to restore the iPod to factory settings, and it now works fine with the Mac. However, it's still not mounting in Ubuntu with the same "mount_point cannot contain the following characters..." error. I'm looking into reformatting it with the mac as a regular external hd. I wonder if this is an Ubuntu thing. Now I wish I'd brought along that Fedora live CD.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast