Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
OMG OMG HUGE PROGRESS!!! I created a new user with Admin privileges and was able to mount the iPod there. There's still more to be done but I'm just so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

OMG OMG HUGE PROGRESS!!!

I created a new user with Admin privileges and was able to mount the iPod there.

There's still more to be done but I'm just so excited I had to post the success as soon as it happened.

This was extremely helpful: Trouble mounting ipod... [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums

The problem was when I changed the mount point manually, I called it /media/Artesia and I should have called it just Artesia. The / is what caused all the trouble.

The answer was to go to use gconf-edit and in /system/storage/drives/, unset the key for the iPod. I then rebooted and the iPod mounted. It's nice to know that I didn't need the Mac, after all.

But I'm still not quite there because now the iPod is mounting read-only, owned by root, and I can't change it even with gksu nautilus or with that new user account I created. But it feels like I'm almost there. This is exciting!

Good lord... the Mac formatted it with hfs+ which is journaled and will mount as read-only. I previously had formatted it with iTunes when I still had Vista so this wasn't an issue the last time around.

I tells ya, this is a helluva learning experience.

Onwards...

I went back there on Sunday to remove the journaling from the file system. I'm trying not to think about how much money I'm spending on gas for this project.

I changed the file system to Mac OS Extended non-journaled, but was still unable to access it. Here's the fun part... I obviously hadn't learned my lesson about changing mount properties, because I thought that maybe I could fix this in properties.

After which, the iPod once again didn't mount. And my previous solution (using gconf-editor with another user acct) didn't work.

What followed was a couple hours of reformatting, restoring, changing this and that, lot of going back and forth between the Mac and my laptop and lot of switching users. At long last, I got the iPod to mount again. I even have Amarok being able to connect to it, although it still can't upload music to it.

I want to say that I'm so close I can taste the music. But I was wrong about this before, so I won't. But I did take a step forward. I'm sure that one day, I'll look back at this experience and laugh. In fact I think I'll laugh as soon as I have it working again. No wait, I'll scream.

I took a break from it and slept on it... here's where I stand. I have two options:

1) Completely overhaul my decrepid Windows machine (hardware, which I haven't done before), install XP, install iTunes, and reformat the iPod with that so it turns it into fat32. This is a huge undertaking and I'm not sure I'm up for it right now.

2) Get the iPod working with hfs+. This is apparently doable, and there are several sites with instructions. I've followed instructions of that sort in the past and inevitably, I run into problems when something doesn't match somewhere.

It'll probably be option 2, as soon as I gather the courage to plunge into it. And it needs to be soon because I do miss the iPod. The CD changer in my truck just died and I'm really getting tired of just listening to radio.

Onwards...

Sorry it's become such a big deal

Thanks for updating us though, I'm still reading this thread, just short of suggestions

Thanks for being a loyal reader The thread view count is pretty high so I keep updating just in case anyone can chime in. At this point, even words of encouragement are helpful.

Oh btw... I forgot to mention that the little monster has officially been renamed to Isis. I figured there were probably a bunch of bad entries all over my system with Artesia in it.

Isis, nice choice

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Artesia View Post
    2) Get the iPod working with hfs+. This is apparently doable, and there are several sites with instructions. I've followed instructions of that sort in the past and inevitably, I run into problems when something doesn't match somewhere.
    Onwards...
    If it's using Windows format:
    Run this and post the output:

fdisk -l

dmesg

create a directory named /mnt/ipod

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb2 /mnt/ipod

sdb1 might be the partition for the firmware?

If it's through Mac/Apple disk format:

HOWTO hfsplus - Gentoo Linux Wiki

Hi kopete, thanks for that link. Isis is indeed formatted with a Mac, so I have some hfs+ joys to look forward to.

This part of the page is troubling me:

"Warning: This tools are not x86_64 compatible.
    Warning: A hack was made for x86_64 that seems to work."

I didn't realize that running a 64 bit system is going to add another stumbling block to the situation. I think that when the next Ubuntu release comes out, I'll opt for the 32 bit version. The 64 bit thing sounds real impressive and all but it's been problematic in more ways than one...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast