Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
My heart really goes out to you for all of the trouble you've had with this. I know this isn't a solution but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Rockbox ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

My heart really goes out to you for all of the trouble you've had with this. I know this isn't a solution but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware

Have you come across Rockbox before? It's alternative firmware for mp3 playes such as the iPod. It means that you wouldn't be stuck with iTunes problems and also that you wouldn't need specific software to manage your iPod. I use it on my iRiver and it has been great. It has a lot more functionality than the iRiver had before, which is saying something considering the features it started out with.

Anyway, don't want to steer you off course - I'd just rather say it and give you the option.

A bizarre and abrupt turn of events.

My family just bought a new computer. They brought it to my house to set up a dual-boot with Ubuntu on it. It has Vista. They said, do whatever you want with it. So I installed iTunes. Reformatted the iPod with Windows. Back to FAT32. Wiped and reinitialized with Amarok. Everything works fine now. That's it, just like that.

I find myself in the uncomfortable position where I have to say that Windows saved the day. Mind you, I wouldn't have been in this predicament in the first place if it wasn't for Apple purposely making it difficult on anyone who doesn't want to use iTunes. Which I didn't know until too late. But still.

At the same time this experience has been tremendously educational. I've become much more familiar/comfortable with fstab, the terminal, Parted, permissions, file systems... I had my first brushes with gconf-edit, disk labels, mount points and options. That's priceless. I've only been using Linux for 8 months and I feel really accomplished. I earned myself an iPod FM transmitter for my truck, and a new pair of shoes.

Tom, thanks for the Rockbox link and the moral support. I use Amarok because it does the job, but I'm not entirely pleased with it. One day... when I have energy to futz with the iPod again... I'll check it out.

Linux Guru
    That's brilliant news Artesia, I'm really glad you got it sorted out. You've earned these:

There's no shame in using the right tool for the job at all, what's most important that you can use your iPod again. To be honest I hear a lot of whinging online about how Linux doesn't do something with a heavy dose of a user who seems to be inexperienced, but more importantly who has no tolerance or willing to learn/experiment.

So when I read your story I was actually very frustrated because you were trying hard, putting the work in and giving it 110% when you could have just given up and walked away. For someone to put in that much work and not be rewarded with a result just seems unfair, even after my last few years of using Linux without incident.

But on the plus side you got the old-school tutelage! Some of us older users joke about how Linux is too easy these days and how no one will learn anything. When I started out we didn't even have online repositories! Just glad you're up and running again and better that you didn't give up.

Cool, four bananas! Around here, that's better than getting gold stars! Thank you for the kind words.

Just Joined!
    This is the first time ,I visited rockbox site.

I accept which is very helpful for those who have a ipod and it is

giving solution for ipod and iTunes.....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4