Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just bought a Lacie 2big network NAS, the device runs a cut down linux kernel, with limited services, http, smb, ftp. It has two hard disks that can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reseting Lacie 2Big Network

I have just bought a Lacie 2big network NAS, the device runs a cut down linux kernel, with limited services, http, smb, ftp. It has two hard disks that can be set up as RAID0 or RAID1.

I plugged it into the network and as expected it registered itself with DHCP and became visible to the LAN. I then applied an update, new linux version, only in my haste I uploaded it using the web admin pages into the config area and rebooted. The device is now ill, and well I'm trying to undo the damage, only there is no reset button.

I can still see it taking an IP lease over dhcp, but I cant access the web admin pages, the http, the smb, and ftp services do not seem to be exposed. I can ping the device, but can't ssh to it if I run nmap against it all ports are closed.

As there is no way of accessing the NAS, through the interface I have taken out one of the hard disks from the array. It was set up as RAID-1, with two disks mirroring each other. I have hooked one of the disks to my pc (sata connection) with the intention of fixing the config directly, or rebuilding linux onto the disk, the GPL source code can be found at LaCie - 2big Network (2-disk RAID) - Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbits.

I'm at the point where I am trying to mount the disk, but I am getting errors. I don't want to format the disk as the current config would be necessary for the linux build that is on the disk. Any ideas how to mount the disk. The output from fdisk, mount follows. The first disk sda is ok, it is the current pc disk. The second disk sdb is the hard disk from the NAS.

[root@localhost /]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 74.3 GB, 74355769344 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9039 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0004f926

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 25 200781 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 26 9039 72404955 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdb1 1 125 1004031 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb2 126 121601 975755970 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb5 1 16 128457 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdb6 17 17 8001 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb7 18 18 8001 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb8 19 40 176683+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb9 41 124 674698+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb10 125 125 8001 83 Linux

Disk /dev/dm-0: 72.0 GB, 72007811072 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8754 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/dm-0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/dm-1: 2080 MB, 2080374784 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 252 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x30307800

Disk /dev/dm-1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
    [root@localhost /]# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb /mnt/lacie
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

[root@localhost /]# dmesg|tail
    attempt to access beyond end of device
    sdb1: rw=0, want=3, limit=2
    hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
    attempt to access beyond end of device
    sdb1: rw=0, want=4, limit=2
    EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
    VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sdb.
    VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdb.
    hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
    VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdb.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Blaise.

Just Joined!

the rebuild.

And the rebuild...

fdisk -l gives the following

/dev/sdb1 1 125 1004031 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb2 126 121601 975755970 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb5 1 16 128457 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdb6 17 17 8001 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb7 18 18 8001 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb8 19 40 176683+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb9 41 124 674698+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb10 125 125 8001 83 Linux

running mdadm --examine /dev/sdbx againts each of the devices gives an indication of whether you can mount it or not. e.g.
    e.g.

mdadm --examine /dev/sdb9
    /dev/sdb9:
    Magic : a92b4efc
    Version : 00.90.00
    UUID : d5402efa:72337bb1:762c80ef:10baf584
    Creation Time : Sat Jan 1 11:00:20 2000
    Raid Level : raid1
    Used Dev Size : 674624 (658.92 MiB 690.81 MB)
    Array Size : 674624 (658.92 MiB 690.81 MB)
    Raid Devices : 2
    Total Devices : 2
    Preferred Minor : 2

Update Time : Sun Jul 27 00:39:29 2008
    State : clean
    Active Devices : 2
    Working Devices : 2
    Failed Devices : 0
    Spare Devices : 0
    Checksum : f889668c - correct
    Events : 0.6110

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
    this 1 8 9 1 active sync

0 0 8 25 0 active sync /dev/sdb9
    1 1 8 9 1 active sync

devices /dev/sdb8 and /dev/sdb9 are of interest, they contain op system and data for op system. Other devices are data and other stuff.

To mount what you need.

mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 /dev/sdb8
    mount /dev/md0 /mnt/lacie8
    mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md1 /dev/sdb9
    mount /dev/md1 /mnt/lacie9

if you want your data mount sdb2 as well. I'm only interested in getting the thing working again, haven't had a chance to use it as a disk yet.

The sdb9 appears to be the working directory for the lacie system config. It contains a file edconf.xml. This file appears to have set itself to a bare minimum config with all services set to no on-boot. Which explains why I couldn't access the disk – no services.

The root dir for the installation under sdb8 had a full default config /etc/edconf.xml. I copied this file across to sdb9, overwriting the first.

stopped the disks.

umount /mnt/lacie8
    umount /mnt/lacie9

mdadm --stop /dev/md1
    mdadm --stop /dev/md0

I then powered of my computer took the second disk out of the NAS, put the doctored disk into the NAS started it, and the admin console was available, so I powered down and put the second disk back in, as this would then be synced with the first and powered up. The admin page was still available and the lacie ethernet agent can see it. The settings are back to default, which is ok as i did not set up any shares or groups or anything... So all good...

Moral of the story, make sure your NAS has a reset button. Although, I did kind of enjoy the journey, may need to build my own kernel for it, or at least enable ssh – but later. Will contact lacie support about how to enable ssh...

Just Joined!
    Lacie 2Big NAS Reset Procedure (found it in a buyers review post at Amazon.com) and it worked for me. You'd think Lacie would just post the reset procedure. Took a couple tries to get it right...

[B]FYI - You CAN reset the drive to factory defaults. Just follow these instructions I got directly from LaCie:

Here is the factory reset process for the 2Big Network, which may solve the problem. The process will not delete any of your data, but it may delete the user and share names. Please make a note of these so that you can recreate them. Once recreated, the original data will be intact.

It is our expectation that the data will still be present and unaffected after the reset but we are unable to guarantee this. For this reason we strongly recommend having a backup of your data elsewhere first.

1. Switch OFF the product. Once OFF, the product's back power switch MUST be on the OFF position.

2. If the product is in SAFE mode, MOVE the RAID mode switch to the BIG mode. This is needed for the firmware to enable the Reset request. But that will not change the RAID mode unless you go in the RAID admin page and validate the change.

3. PUSH the front button and KEEP IT PRESSED.

4. MOVE the back power switch to the ON position. The front button's LED will start blinking.

5. Once the front button's LED stops blinking, RELEASE the front button. Once released, the front button's LED will start blinking again.

6. When the front button's LED stops blinking again, PUSH the front button and KEEP IT PRESSED. Once again, the front button's LED will blink.

7. When the front button's LED stops blinking, RELEASE it. The product is now restoring itself to its factory defaults.

8. If the product was in SAFE mode before applying this process, MOVE the RAID mode switch back to the SAFE mode.

After having reset the product to its factory defaults, all the shares will seem to disapear. But since they are still present on the harddisk, it is possible to "restore" them.

To do so, you will have to recreate all the shares. But you will have to reuse the exact same name they used when they originally created them.
    /B]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi blaise,

i´ve bought a 2big network without hdd´s. after some night´s of heavy work it runs with an image of the edmini. (that´s the only one i found at the web)
    Could you (or someone else) support me with the original partition images of the 2big network?
    That would be nice and i´ve some more hours to sleep...
    ... and sorry for my bad english
    best regards
    Falk

Just Joined!
    Would following the factory reset procedure posted not set up your HDD's as you want? Just a thought.

LF.

Just Joined!

Just trying to mount the drives

Hi,

I'm really not experienced with filesystems, etc, so this may be a simple question.

How exactly have you been mounting the drives? I've put one of the disks in a SATA-to-USB enclosure, but can't get it to mount. I'm a total beginner at anything like this, so if anybody feels up for a small walkthrough I'd be deeply appreciative.

Background: my LaCie 2big NAS has just punked out on me. It was in RAID1 mode, and as far as I can tell at least one of the drives is still fine. Unfortunately the network interface is dead (no network presence whatsoever). I'm under warranty, but they say they'll wipe the drive for repairs (!). (I've tried the reset procedure posted above with no luck).

Thanks,
    Peter

Just Joined!
    I'm back.
    After a more careful reading of blaise's second post I am happily accessing the data on my drive. The command that did it for me was:

sudo mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 /dev/sdb2

Under kubuntu 9.04 this then auto-mounted the drive (with message: "mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2)").

Thank You! LaCie told me that if I couldn't mount it as a standard ext2/3 partition then I would need to send the drive to a data recovery company. I think I'm about through with LaCie.