Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having some issues with a harddrive of mine. I'm not too sure what the problems are, but I keep seeing weird patterns. It's a 40GB internal IDE Western Digital ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is my hard drive corrupt/corrupting?

I'm having some issues with a harddrive of mine. I'm not too sure what the problems are, but I keep seeing weird patterns. It's a 40GB internal IDE Western Digital drive.

For instance, I can tell something is wrong when I'm put in read-only mode. Also, it seems like about 75% of the time for the past few days that when I try to access the drive, it can't boot and goes to the secondary HDD.

I had this happen about two days ago, which led to a reformat. I was able to get off my data at that time, but I was hoping this issue wouldn't happen again. At the moment, I'm in Debian Etch OS on the HDD, so I'm lucky. I have not rebooted, because I think the drive will corrupt and not be able to boot into Debian again.

The past few times I tried turning on the computer, it would either say GRUB Error 25 or stuff like that. The issues that were present are reoccuring even after the reformat.

The first time this issue occured, which was two days ago, I read that there were block errors. I don't necessarily know if it was because I installed fuse on Debian Etch or what. There isn't an NTFS partition on HDD1, but I was reading the NTFS partition on the secondary drive (HDD2).

Another interesting thing is that the BIOS at times will list the drive in the most obscure of ways. For instance, it will have these weird semi block that are like L's turned clock-wise 90-degrees. It will have a lot of those. At other times, it will have some weird acronym looking name for the drive.

It's a Western Digital, but it often ends up looking like some weird garble in the BIOS.

I figure if the BIOS says something weird, then there is a high possibility that the drive is corrupting. The drive doesn't seem that old, and I haven't used it that much. It might be on a slight angle inside the computer case, because I had a difficult time putting it in the bay, but it's not on a radical angle. Maybe it's like 1 to 5 degrees. I wouldn't think that would influence anything too bad. With the reformat, I chose not to install fuse.

And on a sidenote, it could have something to do with the BIOS option to allow SATA. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. In the BIOS I'm allowed to disable the sata controller if I desire. I actually did so, and I was able to boot into the OS, but I'm really thinking that doesn't have much to do with it. I could repeat this procedure a few times, but then there is the fact the BIOS showed the IDE HDD as garble. So, maybe it's not about the SATA controller.

Does anyone know if there is a good way to check what's going on with my drive? I really don't want to buy another drive. I would really appreciate any and all help on this. Thank you.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent-X View Post
    Another interesting thing is that the BIOS at times will list the drive in the most obscure of ways. For instance, it will have these weird semi block that are like L's turned clock-wise 90-degrees. It will have a lot of those. At other times, it will have some weird acronym looking name for the drive.
    I don't want to make any blanket comments on this but I've seen this twice.
    • First time I lost the drive within the hour
    • Second time I lost the power supply and the drive was fine once it got a steady 12V at the right current
    Now neither (or both) may be what you're seeing but one thing I'm very nervous about is having a good power supply. If you have a lot of devices/drives in an OEM system that wasn't built to take them you can strain the power supply and get spikes in your voltage or not enough. It might be something to consider.