Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm going to buy a laptop next week and i have a question for you. I have got 2 choice, first one got intel t2330, 2gb ddr2 667mhz ram ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Intel GMA X3100 or Ati X1200

Hi
    I'm going to buy a laptop next week and i have a question for you. I have got 2 choice, first one got intel t2330, 2gb ddr2 667mhz ram and intel x3100 graphic card. And the second one got amd turion x64 (1.86mhz) 2 gb ddr2 667mhz ram and ati x1200 graphic card. Which one do you prefer for a little bit gaming? Before I got Ati and it makes me mad, actually i prefer nvidia but i haven't got much money. Playing like Warcraft 3, Stronghold, GTA3, Vice City, Doom 3, WoW, Guild Wars and Half Life 2 series. Any chance to play this games with this cards and which one get more performance?

I'm always using Arch Linux with openbox.
    Thanks.

Just Joined!
    3D performance on any integrated graphics adapter is pretty much unacceptable for gaming. The benchmarks I've seen don't say much for either of your two choices. I doubt you'd be happy with either one. Save up and go for a laptop with a seperate graphics controller. The games you mention just won't run well at any kind of acceptable frame rate with any decent resolution on either of the two options you mention.

Gaming-oriented laptops have been hitting the market at $1500 or less, lately. Take a good look around before you make a decision.

I must echo the sentiment that you're not going to be able to play Doom 3 or Half Life 2 at any appreciable speed using integrated graphics. Warcraft 3 perhaps, but not at a very high resolution.

I very strongly recommend Nvidia cards. What's your price range? I'm sure you can find a decent Nvidia-based laptop. Mine is as powerful as my desktop (more so in some areas) and cost me around $1200.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Thanks for answers. I got 800$ and i found an acer a5920 with 256mb nvidia 8600m gs. i think it's a good price and the graphic card fine for gaming. but one problem, acer change the a5920's graphic card to x3100 and the same price. the new series like this. and i'm in turkey. high prices and high tax rate like %18. then the laptop's price 944$.