Find the answer to your Linux question:
Although that version of Ubantu was supposed to install in the 530, it would not for me. And I urge users not to try the IDE to RAID change suggested. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Ubuntu - Dell Inspiron 530

Although that version of Ubantu was supposed to install in the 530, it would not for me.

And I urge users not to try the IDE to RAID change suggested. I had to do a repair before I could even get into the Bios to reverse it.

What "IDE to RAID change" are you referring to? Was this on a tutorial somewhere? If so, please post a link so we can have a point of reference.

From what I've seen here on the forum, RAID is still a sticky point with a lot of people when they try to use Linux. I personally don't need it, so I've not had to deal with the issue, but in general a regular IDE or SATA drive will work much easier than any sort of RAID setup in Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    What "IDE to RAID change" are you referring to? Was this on a tutorial somewhere? If so, please post a link so we can have a point of reference.

From what I've seen here on the forum, RAID is still a sticky point with a lot of people when they try to use Linux. I personally don't need it, so I've not had to deal with the issue, but in general a regular IDE or SATA drive will work much easier than any sort of RAID setup in Linux.
    It was in another thread which was closed to new posts.

A search for "Inspiron 530" should find it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close