Find the answer to your Linux question:
I will start by saying that I dont know the difference between a Grub and a Lilo. I have a dual boot system which has been backed up using Norton ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MBR /Lilo / Grub

I will start by saying that I dont know the difference between a Grub and a Lilo.

I have a dual boot system which has been backed up using Norton Ghost. I have had to restore the system using Ghost. This leaves me in the situation where I can run Linux but not XP. If I use the fixmbr using the windows rescue console then I can use XP but not Linux.

I do not want to reinstall Linux as it has been updated from the web (a 120Mb download at 28..

Could anybody help me fix the current Linux installation so that it boots again. I do have the original Linux disk.

Re: MBR /Lilo / Grub

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Smith
    I will start by saying that I dont know the difference between a Grub and a Lilo.

I have a dual boot system which has been backed up using Norton Ghost. I have had to restore the system using Ghost. This leaves me in the situation where I can run Linux but not XP. If I use the fixmbr using the windows rescue console then I can use XP but not Linux.

I do not want to reinstall Linux as it has been updated from the web (a 120Mb download at 28..

Could anybody help me fix the current Linux installation so that it boots again. I do have the original Linux disk.
    Running "FIXMBR" off the XP disc basically just wipes the MBR, rendering your Linux partition unbootable. I'd recommend first restoring with Ghost so that you at least have a GRUB/LILO boot screen and can boot into Linux. It's IMHO a lot easier to configure Linux to boot XP than the other way around.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Re: MBR /Lilo / Grub

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Smith
    What distro did you install ?
    Note:Lilo has a small red menu, by default

Most distro's also have a rescue option when you boot from CD/DVD.
    Otherwise there is the option of installing the bootloader on a floppy disk.
    That way you can use Windows XP by default and use the floppydisk if you need to boot to linux.
    After restoring your XP partition, bootup linux and restore the bootloader in the MBR.

Post you Distro and version, I'll guide you if you want.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Restore XP and after you boot into Linux using a floppy, install LILO BRUB from the disk. This will put your MBR back to how it was. Remember, Windows has a nasty habit of overwriting the MBR.

Just Joined!

Lilo / Grub / MBR

OK I have restored the Ghost image and now have a working updated version of Xandros. I also have a working copy of XP but I cannot boot into it.

I do not have a floppy copy of anything. (I do have the original CD of Xandros).

How do I modify the Lilo (or whatever) so that I can boot into XP as well?

Linux Newbie
    add the following to ur /etc/grub.conf file

Code:
    title WindowsXP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    as root, execute the following
    Code:
    #grub-install /dev/hda
    NEVER stop/pause Journey of Learning -Travelling Soldier ( Me )

Just Joined!

Lilo / Grub / MBR

I dont seem to have a Grub. I do have a lilo.conf.

I am using Xandros which gives my XP installation on drive C: as
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

That being the case what exactly do I do now.

Re: Lilo / Grub / MBR

If you are using LILO then check in the lilo.cong whether winXP partition entry is there or not. If not enter the partition info at the end of the file:
    Example:
    ########################
    other=/dev/hda1
    optional
    label=Windows
    ########################

And run lilo
    #lilo -v

This will rewrite the MBR.