Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Ubuntu 8.04 fully updated using the Gnome Desktop (i.e. the default one that came with it). I have the hardware in the title and I have installed Compiz ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hannspree XM New York/NVidia X6600 GT

I have Ubuntu 8.04 fully updated using the Gnome Desktop (i.e. the default one that came with it). I have the hardware in the title and I have installed Compiz for the funky effects on windows.

I have for weeks been unable to change my screen resolution - it says "This version of the X Server is not compatible with the XRandR extension. Run nvidia-config as root and then restart the X Server." I used to be able to do this and I'm not sure if Compiz has broken it or not. Being a n00b I have no idea what that message means; although I have run the command it suggests and all it seems to do is set the display settings back to "defaults" and disable all my Compiz selected effects!!

Next... on Tuesday I took delivery of the monitor in the title; before I had a bog-standard old CRT. Linux doesn't recognise it and tries to set some "Square" resolutions but doesn't try the (widescreen) 1440x900 which the screen can do... and so I end up (apparently) in 1024x768 - although it doesn't look stretched and it's got no borders.

Can I get Linux drivers for this shiny new monitor, or can I get some that'll work? How do I get back my Compiz? How do I get to choose my resolution again?

Well, actually, my question is "What things do I need to check, and for what, to get my system working the way it should, please?"

I'm familiar with sudo, and with editing config files in a text editor, and with (to an extent) installing packages using either Synaptic or the command line... but please go gentle with me as I'm no expert!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stonelaughter View Post
    "What things do I need to check, and for what, to get my system working the way it should, please?"

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

That's where you start. You will see your screen resolution listed in the file - this can be painful - but at least it's not sendmail.cf

OK... and is it likely that putting a "custom" value such as 1440x900 in there might make Linux confused? Is there anything else I can do once I've tried this? Do I need to reboot after I've done it?

Thanks for your help so far BTW

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes, find the multiple locations of the screen resolution. Then restart your X server.