Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a used Linksys WRT54G Wireless router that I purchased locally for $35. It refuses to reset to factory defaults. I've tried holding Reset for 5 seconds, 30 seconds, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router

I have a used Linksys WRT54G Wireless router that I purchased locally for $35. It refuses to reset to factory defaults. I've tried holding Reset for 5 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes; while unplugging; while plugging; during unplug and replug; and even pressing it repeatedly. Occasionally it will come back with only the power LED flashing; I understand this means the firmware is damaged. I downloaded all the updates and learned what utilities and method to use to flash the firmware. However, I can't flash the firmware because I don't know the password and the default PW does not work because it won't reset to default. I've been working on this for a few days. I gave up and called Linksys technical support. For a 'one-time fee' of only $29.99 they'll tell me how to reset it and repair the firmware.

I bought it for $35, if I pay another $30, I may as well make it a doorstop and go buy a new router.

As it stands, it is set with the previous owners network settings and wireless network with WEP. It's useless to me. I'm sure someone knows whatever it was that Linksys tech support was going to tell me for $30.

thanks!
    -byrdmann

Just Joined!
    It don't really know how the linksys interface works but i have an idea

Can you tell us what is the version of the router (look under)
    maybe you can flash it with something like openwrt, but the compatibility depends on the version, and if the boot wait is enabled or not. (maybe you could flash it using tftp)
    For more informationn about openwrt i suggest you to see the project's website OpenWrt

I found the answer here. Void Main's Linksys WRT54G Revival Tip

The guide shows how to open the router and boot it into debug mode so that the ROM can be flashed without knowing the password. I restored the factory ROM and it works like brand new!! I'm looking into OpenWRT, it's very powerful, and looks like it may have a learning curve.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close