Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a Linux newbie. I've gotten a lot of my hardware to work by reading online tutorials, but noticed there isn't very much on Bluetooth and BlueZ. I'm running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot Connect Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse

Hi,

I'm a Linux newbie. I've gotten a lot of my hardware to work by reading online tutorials, but noticed there isn't very much on Bluetooth and BlueZ.

I'm running Mandrake 10 and managed to install a couple of the RPMs found on www.bluez.org. I didn't get to install bluez-sdp-1.5-1mdk.i586.rpm or bluez-pan-1.1-2mdk.i586.rpm because I get the following error:

libspd.so.2 is needed by bluez-pan-1.1-2mdk
    libspd.so.2 is needed by bluez-spd-1.5-1mdk

I didn't think they were too important because the BlueZ website said that the only two things I really need are the bluez utils and libs packages, and went along testing if I got my bluetooth working or not.

When I run "hcitool dev", I it gives me the MAC address of my Microsoft Bluetooth Dongle so I'm pretty sure that's working.

I can even run "hcitool scan" and I detect my Sony Ericsson T610, Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard, and Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse, so I know that's working too.

The only problem is getting it to pair with my keyboard and mouse.

I try running "hidd --server" to activate the HIDP server but I get the following error:

Can't open HIDP control socket: Invalid Argument

Trying to run "hidd --connect XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX", where XX replaces the MAC address of my keyboard or mouse gives me the same error.

I think it has to do with my not being able to install the RPMs I couldn't install. The thing is I can't find the libspd.so.2 thing the RPMs I need to install depends on.

I'd really like to get this working, and I'm an extreme newbie, so step by step instructions would be helpful. Thanks.

ALSO,
    I'm dual booting Windows XP and Mandrake 10. My Microsoft Bluetooth Desktop works fine in Windows. I was wondering if there was a way to get them to work fine with Windows AND Linux. I'm thinking to get it to work, I'd have to pair the devices again ever time I boot into each operating system. I'd just like to boot the operating system I want and start typing without having to pair my keyboard or mouse again.

Thanks for your help,
    Ryan

Just Joined!
    This is the exact problem i have i cant get my Microsoft Blue-tooth mouse to work either i am trying to find something on this