Find the answer to your Linux question:
The question is in the title: Are there any 802.11g wireless cards with drivers available for Linux (namely Fedora)? I do stress that this question concerns 802.11g any help would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Are there any 802.11g wireless cards for linux?

The question is in the title:
    Are there any 802.11g wireless cards with drivers available for Linux (namely Fedora)?

I do stress that this question concerns 802.11g any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys (and girls)

Re: Are there any 802.11g wireless cards for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Plato
    The question is in the title:
    Are there any 802.11g wireless cards with drivers available for Linux (namely Fedora)?

I do stress that this question concerns 802.11g any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys (and girls)
    The big thing you need to look for in my experience is what chipset the card is based on. This is not as easy as looking at the back of the box, unfortunately, since it is usually not listed nor is it guaranteed to be the same for all cards a company makes. The Atheros chipset is the only one I know of that's completely supported in Linux.

I have a Linksys WMP54g wireless card (Broadcom chipset), but the only way I could get it to work was by downloading a program called DriverLoader from http://www.linuxant.com, which allowed me to use the MS Windows drivers. The immediate downside to this is that DriverLoader is not free, though you can use it for 30 days. After that it's a one-time $20 license fee. Another downside is that the key they give you is tied to the hardware address (MAC) of your card so you cannot use the program with any other cards.

There is an open-source program called ndiswrapper that does the same thing (I've heard) but I've never been able to get it to compile, much less run.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    That'll be something to look into, I guess. I've got some good buzz about ndiswrapper so far too, but it looks a tad too complicated for me. I'll give it some thought.

Any other noob-friendly ideas? ^-^

Just Joined!
    Sorry for thread digging, but if I use driverloader, after 30days the drivers are still usable right? (may sound dumb, but I hate trial stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannicide
    Sorry for thread digging, but if I use driverloader, after 30days the drivers are still usable right? (may sound dumb, but I hate trial stuff)
    Umm, no. I tried that. The driver actually deactivates itself after 30 days unless you register with them. It has something to do with the 30-day trial code you use, because they give you a lifetime license code when you register (I did). It's all up to what you feel like doing and paying for.

The upside is that Linuxant has packages for Driverloader that will install on just about any distro (DEB, RPM, TAR.GZ) and once you pay, it's yours for life. The downside is that your license key is tied to the hardware MAC address of your wireless card, so you can only use the license for *that* card.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

yeah, ndiswrapper is definetly worth a look, word is Yoper comes with it preinstalled if it looks far to complicated to get working.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Guru
    My Netgear WG511 worked (almost) out of the box.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

D-Link 520

apparently Mandrake 10.1 supports the D-link DWL520 card
    check out

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-24595.html

I am very interested in this
    as a friend wants to network his house amd wireless
    is the only viable option
    he also needs a linux firewall