Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi LF Experts, good day. I asked my friend last week about memory. I asked him if it's ok if I can mix two different RAM sizes and frequencies in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?

Hi LF Experts, good day.

I asked my friend last week about memory. I asked him if it's ok if I can mix two different RAM sizes and frequencies in my motherboard. He answered NO because it can cause damage or burn to my memory and every gold contacts in the memory has its own voltage. He said also that the gold contacts will turn to black. Not all contacts but some contacts will turn black color it's because mixing two different sizes and frequencies can cause burn to my memory.

Questions:
    1. Is it true that mixing two different sizes and frequencies can cause damage or burn to my memory? and Why?
    2. Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?

Quote Originally Posted by SHENGTON View Post
    1. Is it true that mixing two different sizes and frequencies can cause damage or burn to my memory? and Why?
    2. Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?
    I know for a fact (and I've built and upgraded several dozen PCs and laptops) that different sizes of memory will do absolutely no damage to your system. My desktop system right now has a 512 stick and a 1GB stick and it's been chugging along just fine for years.

I would most certainly not mix speeds of RAM however. I'm not sure that it would necessarily damage anything, but your computer will only run as fast as the slowest RAM.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Is it true that it can cause damage or burn to my memory and the gold contacts will turn to black? Not all contacts but some contacts will turn black color it's because of mixing two different RAM frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by SHENGTON View Post
    Is it true that it can cause damage or burn to my memory and the gold contacts will turn to black? Not all contacts but some contacts will turn black color it's because of mixing two different RAM frequencies.
    I've never heard of anything that would cause the connectors on your RAM to turn black, unless:

1. They've shorted out and caused a minor electrical fire.
    2. They've been exposed to some sort of corrosive agent, like sea air, and in this case they'd turn green rather than black.

However I would very highly advise not mixing frequencies of RAM. For instance, if one of your sticks is 333mHz and the other is 400mHz, don't put them both in the same motherboard. I'm not sure if it would do any damage, but either way you're not getting the best performance. Buy yourself another 400mHz stick and match them up.

The actual capacity of the RAM is much less important. If you have one stick of 1GB and can't afford another, popping in a stick of 512MB won't hurt anything.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks again sir. Your inputs really helps a lot.

Linux Guru
    If you have one stick of 1GB and can't afford another, popping in a stick of 512MB won't hurt anything.
    This depends on the motherboard. It may:

A) Have dual-channel *support* where better performance is gained by using 2 DIMM's of the same size, *but* mixing different sizes is OK.

B) *Require* 2 DIMM's of equal size and RAM can only be added in pairs.

C) Not care - 1GB, 512MB, 2GB DIMM's can all be mixed.

Bottom line: Read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    This depends on the motherboard. It may:

A) Have dual-channel *support* where better performance is gained by using 2 DIMM's of the same size, *but* mixing different sizes is OK.

B) *Require* 2 DIMM's of equal size and RAM can only be added in pairs.

C) Not care - 1GB, 512MB, 2GB DIMM's can all be mixed.

Bottom line: Read the manual.
    You're right; I should have said "it won't destroy any of your components, but it can make your RAM not perform as fast as it could."

The only case where I see B happening is on a server or one of the newer Apple tower computers. I've popped unmatched pairs into a Xeon server once, and the worst that happened was the RAM was not recognized.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    One last question sir.

Can you give me some links that will prove that my instructor and the computer technicians are not right?

Thanks and God bless.