Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
If you want to install from source, you can use this HowTo (post #2) for installing them: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html Generally speaking, it might be easier to use the deb files from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

If you want to install from source, you can use this HowTo (post #2) for installing them:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html

Generally speaking, it might be easier to use the deb files from the link posted above, though.

Like I said earlier, getting this done and working properly probably won't be an easy task. If it were me, I'd purchase a printer that is more compatible with Linux. That's not to say that you can't get this one working, though.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Everything went smooth all the way down until the configure step.
    At src/ prompt I typed: ./configure like it said and just got the no file found error message.

I also thought about just purchasing a newer, more compatible printer. I looked at several but not one listed any Linux OS as a supported system. So my guess is I'd have more $$ invested and be doing the same thing I'm doing now... looking for a LInux compatible driver online to download. *lol*

Oh BTW.... the reason my files would not unTAR (unzip) using the commands posted on the other forum is because the extract code was not correct. They posted "tar -xvzf" and the correct command code should have been "tar -zxvf"

oz
    forum.guy
    I've always had good luck with Brother (laser) printers under Linux, and I think many of the HP printers will work with Linux. Whenever possible, it's best to do some checking around before buying a printer that might be used with Linux.

Certain printer makers are certainly more Linux aware than others, but unfortunately few of them bother to mention that they are Linux compatible even when they are very much so.
    oz

Linux Guru
    For Ubuntu, try this How-To, it's older but should still work:
    HOWTO: Lexmark Printers - Ubuntu Forums

I have the same printer, and usually use Fedora with it. The trick for all systems is to extract the base driver from the old Red Hat rpm. How to do this is different for different systems, but the How-To I linked to above should work for Ubuntu.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

RE:Can't get Dell Printer to work?

hi,
    IN some instances you can obtain limited functionality of your dell printer using a generic post script driver, however officially Dell products are not supported for use with Mac computer.

Linux Guru
    I have complete functionality of the Dell 720 on my Linux PC's. Also, the original poster is using a Dell, not a Mac.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2