Hi Everyone-

I'm currently having an issue with my quickcam. I used to use it under gentoo about a year ago, but now I can't get it working again on another box (still running gentoo).

The computer recognizes it
#output of lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:0840 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

I emerged qc-usb, which should have the correct driver (I've used it before in the past with sucess).

When I tried it out with xawtv, I got this:

$ xawtv -c /dev/v4l/video0
This is xawtv-3.95, running on Linux/x86_64 (2.6.22-gentoo-r
WARNING: v4l-conf is compiled without DGA support.

Seem straight forward enough however when I look in my kernel to check this out... I see nothing about DGA support although I have all of the v4l options that I've used in the past all built into the kernel.

I found this xawtv Problems - Ubuntu Forums which seemed to be a different approach, unfortunately I don't get an address out when I perform the grep.

As a bit of additional information it looks like when I try to install the gspca drivers, I find that they have been masked by package.mask... Not the easiest thing to get around.

A long story short, the system sees the camera. xawtv and mplayer can both seem to probe /dev/v4l/video0 but nothing shows up because they seem to get hung up on this DGA support. I very recently found that DGA is not going to be supported by nvidia drivers. Does this mean that you can't use v4l if you are using an nvidia card? If so then that seems pretty insurmountable.

No more DGA Support in the latest NVIDIA Driver: msg#00076

Anyone have any ideas?

Seth