Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have an external USB CDRW from Iomega and am trying to connect it to Linux laptop, with no luck! I plugged in the USB and Linux didn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Linux driver for Iomega USB CDRW

Hi all,

I have an external USB CDRW from Iomega and am trying to connect it to Linux laptop, with no luck!

I plugged in the USB and Linux didn't automatically detect the drive and so I went to the Iomega site to find the relevant driver, but turns out they don't have one. Any idea if this is available from a third party? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks

I dont think there is one, and I don't think you should need one.

do
    Code:
     lsmod | grep -i usb
    and you should see your device.

here is some info on how to mount it - http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...b-drive-2.html

iomega probable has some funny hardware because I never need to manually mount USB drives (CD or HDD).

geese.

Just Joined!

Cool Trouble installing external USB CDRW

Thanks for your reponse geese.

You were right, I realised that my USB cable was faulty, so I can now see the device. For example when I plug in the USB CD drive with a CD in it it brings up a prompt window asking me what I want to do with the contents of the CD that is in the driver.

However, when I try to explore the contents of the CD I get the following error message:

" The path '/home/user/CDRW86522EXT3-B' does not exist. "

I tried to manually mount the device by following the link you posted, but didn't get much luck probably because I am a complete novice to Linux and don't know my way around the Shell Console much.

However, my gut feeling judging from the error message I get is that it is not a mounting issue but a case of bad referencing, which I am not sure how to fix!

Apologies if I sound ignorant, but would appreciate your help a lot.

Thanks in advance

okay,

can you post the result of
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    after you connected the drive.

And yeah, it does not sound like mounting problem.
    btw, did you check the /media directory?