Find the answer to your Linux question:
i was wondering how one could go about determining a wireless card's chipset before buying it. i was told that for a specific linux program i need, the name of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Determining the chipset before a buy

i was wondering how one could go about determining a wireless card's chipset before buying it. i was told that for a specific linux program i need, the name of which I can't remember, is only compatible with certain chipsets. any help would be appreciated.

Linux Guru
    There is no exact way of determining this. Manufacturers will use different chips for the same model cards. They then give it a different version number.

Here is a list of some cards, but this is by no means all of the wireless devices available.

Devices - Linux Wireless

If you could "test" them at a store, maybe booting with a Linux LiveCD and checking the card with the lspci and lsusb commands. That is the only way I can think of.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Newbie
    isnt that generally frowned upon? anyway... i'm ordering online, so that's not an option. thanks a bunch! that site is a step.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by arinlares View Post
    isnt that generally frowned upon?
    I did say "if".
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.