Find the answer to your Linux question:
my usb external harddrive is in NTFS format. I use it for media storage - mp3, ogg, mpg, etc. Using Knoppix live cd, I am able to access/utilize the files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

external harddrive in ntfs format - any trouble?

my usb external harddrive is in NTFS format. I use it for media storage - mp3, ogg, mpg, etc. Using Knoppix live cd, I am able to access/utilize the files but it seems a bit slower than normal. I am wondering if this is caused by linux-to-NTFS differences or simply the slowness of using a live cd.

will there be any trouble using NTFS along with linux? Should I backup my media onto dvd & reformat the external harddrive into the linux format?

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    if you need to use the drive in windows and linux then you should make it "fat" if you only need to use it in linux then formati it with reiserfs (mkreiserfs)

Just Joined!
    well, I will primarily using the harddrive with linux at home - but I might have to use it windows on the rare occasion. The disk is about 30GB of music and other media; I tend to travel and bring it with me to share my music with friends - most people I know use Windows. I do not plan on dual-booting.

What is the reason/advantages for reformatting it to a linux format? advantages/disadvantages of fat32? advantages/disadvantages of keeping it in NTFS?

pardon my ignorance, but what is reiserfs? I understand that it is a filesysystem, but how would I utiltize it?

thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    well if you _need_ to share it with your friends then reiserfs is not an option as they (windows users) do not support it. for best cross platform use you should format it in FAT format. reiserfs is much faster than FAT or NTFS its also more stable and cross platform (its up to the platform to support it not the other way around) resiserfs is excelent for media storage and its very high performance. FAT is _very_ low performance and data integrity is not its strong point and is only usefull if you need to share files with windows machines.

Just Joined!
    thanks - I formatted into reiserfs. Now I just need to figure out how exactly to mount the usb external harddrive

I seriously cannot figure it out...

thanks tho

Just Joined!
    it should have performed just fine w/ ntfs, maybe its a usb 2 drive and your livecd only loaded a usb 1 module?