Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, i am new to this forum and fairly new to Linux but am a convert. having a bit of trouble with getting an external hard drive to be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

eSATA HDD

hi all,
    i am new to this forum and fairly new to Linux but am a convert.
    having a bit of trouble with getting an external hard drive to be recognised with eSATA?
    i am using FC6.
    any suggestions?

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    This really is something for the peripherals/hardware forum. But just out of curiousity... are you connected to the onboard sata connectors, or to a controller card?

Just Joined!
    tks,
    i will go there if required.
    just pluged to onboard socket on motherboard

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    FC6 is outdated and unsupported, you will likely have less hardware problem by upgrading to latest fedora, esata is relatively new technology

Just Joined!
    Tks all,
    i am upgrading to FC9 so hopefully that will help

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    Reddwarf,
    Actually... FC6 did support SATA which means it supported eSATA. A question here... Which controller are you using? If you don't know, it should be listed on the mobo mfrs website. Check here to see if the controller is supported. If it is supported, take a closer look at the hardware. Is it fully SATA? Or some amalgamation of SATA/eSATA and other technologies. And not to overstate the obvious, but do you have an uninterrupted signal path from end to end? Also, do you have a verified power source to the external drive? (Remember, unlike Firewire & USB, eSATA data cables do not transmit power) Let us know what you find.

Just Joined!
    tks,

the mobo did support it; that was before lightning zapped my beloved Zeus.
    lost the power supply and mobo so i suppose this issue is a little moot now.
    thanks for the help

Aww... Man! That sucks. I'm sorry to hear things went down like that.

Just Joined!
    tks,

it was protected by a UPS and surge but the lightning hit the two way aerial (120') and fried quiet a bit of stuff in the depot.
    my biggest issue now is finding a tech that has some idea of what he/she is doing with Linux networks. i am not game to go there